Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that has been looking at buying an air nibbler and I wanted to know if anyone had any good/bad experiences with any brand at all. He's been looking at the Ingersoll Rand IR325. Does anyone have any opinions on air nibblers?

·
Registered
553 Posts
ok I don't get out much... what the heck is an 'air nibbler'?

I want one just from the sound of it! ::

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Most of the affordable ones are all Taiwan, and look like they are sourced from the same factory. With that in mind I bought the $19.99 Harbor Freight one and it worked great on 20 guage...but chipped the die when I went up to 16guage. So my opinion is to just get the Harbor Freight model and stick to 20guage or thinner.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
An air nibbler is a power tool used to cut sheet metal, it uses a hardened punch that reciprocates up and down through a circular die...if you stick some metal between the punch and die the punch busts a little half moon shaped piece out of the metal these bites add up and you can cut lines and shapes out of the metal.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a Snap-on that has been in my box for years, It works fine on flat sheet metal but if you have to go over body lines or in tight places or make a tight turn it is a pita. Sawzall with a short blade works better for most applications, plasma cutter even better... :)

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
another option that has worked well for me, is a cutting wheel on a small hand grinder (4.5"), then use a dremmel with a smaller cutting wheel for tight corners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts