·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
Polished intakes are one more friggin' thing to keep clean. Use a 500 cfm on your stock engine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't like polished intakes myself, but that's just a personal opinion. I also don't see a brand on there, so who knows what kind of quality it is. You can pick up an Edelbrock Performer for the same price, just not polished.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Polished looks really nice ! it's alot more work to take care of, My red 69 is a weekend driver so I don't mind the extra effort. BUT i will not be putting on on the Green 69,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I'm always very wary of knock-offs. Yes, it's, perhaps, a $100 cheaper. But, it can be $200 worth of fitment problems and finish issues.
I know it cost more, but, I tend to save for the real deals. If you want a better than aluminum cast finish, you can buy an Eddy and have it powder coated.
...any color! This is a pic of my Performer RPM

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight...Guys. I like that Endurashine intake. I think I may go with that one. The carb is beautiful as well but for as much as you see of it with the air cleaner on, I will just go with a nice used holley.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Take a close look at those knock off intakes. They include something Edelbrock or Ford does not include.
A water passage at the back of the intake connecting the rear cooling ports together. I'm thinking that this may create a few coolant circulation issues and cause over heating.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am definitely going to spend the extra and go with the endurashine.
I have the endurashine on my carb, intake and valve covers. Easy to keep clean, but some of the finish has chipped off the intake at one location. The first intake I got already was missing some of the finish right out of the box. I sent it back. The second one is now missing some of the endurashine finish after very few miles on the new engine.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the endurashine chipping, but I just got the motor in the car. I had a hose come loose and spray the entire motor with anti freeze. It wiped off easy and left no marks even though the motor was hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do you think it would be better to just go with the regular polished Edelbrock intake?
Depends on what you want. I wanted a high performance show car engine, not a race engine. The endurashine will chip, regardless of what they tell you.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have both polished intake and endurashine. The polished intake is on my 5.0 and the Endurashine is on my 66. The polished intakes are a pain to keep clean. Especially with all of the small nooks and crannies. I've had my Endurashine for 2 years now and it has been a blessing! Easy to clean and keep clean. No chips on it either. Worth the $ in my opinion.

I have the matching water pump as well and it sure is purdy.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
^ Then definitely get the Endurashine....

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,630 Posts
"Nice used holley". There's there's three words you don't hear together often. There are such things but there's a very good chance of buying someone else's headache.
I wouldn't pay much attention to the rear water crossover. Weiand's have had them for years and years. A very few factory Ford intakes had the rear crossovers too. I've seen dragracer's tap non-crossover intakes and put on an external crossover hose. I've yet to hear any solid evidence of whether open or blocked is better and why. I do know that thousands of people have been running both for years and nobody seems to have any real evidence of either way being a problem.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
So I am just getting started cleaning up under my hood and dressing up my stock 289. Any opinions on this polished intake off of EBAY (good or bad). Also, what size carb would I need for a basically stock engine? I have a 2 barrel on it now. Thanks for your time.

FORD 289 302 Polished AirGap Aluminum Intake Manifold - eBay (item 220589049308 end time Mar-09-11 09:20:48 PST)

That's made by Professional Products and yes it is a knock-off from the Edelbrock and made in China.

I have had it on my car for probably 5 years now. The only problem I have with it is that even for a weekend warrior, it is a pain to keep it polished.

There have been people that add the rear crossover to help with cooling issues. It also provides an extra 3/8 NPT tapped hole into the coolant circuit that I use for my fan thermostat.

Quality-wise it has been no issue and was half the price of the Eddie.

On edit: If I were going to do it again, I'd go for the Edelbrock Endurashine only because it is easier to keep clean. It wasn't available when I bought the Pro Products intake.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I am using an Eddy Performer 289 I got out of a junk yard for $20. Bead blasted it, it looked like new, then used clear engine enamel to keep it looking new. I prefer the low luster finish myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
As 09Frank65 said it is a complete copy. I emailed the ebay guy a few years back and he basically admitted it was a complete copy. I said if it was a complete copy internally too, then they must have flow numbers to prove it. He said they did not. End of story as far as I am concerned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts