Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled my engine and trany. Going to start rebuilding them.
I want opinions...
I have two cars, both 6 cylinder '66s. Both need restored. One has a engine and is in terible shape. Patches will have to be put on everything, including the dash around the sterio. It is a rust bucket but still restorible. It will just take time. The other is engine-less but in decent shape, a easy restore. I am restoring the engine that came out of the rust bucket. Should I put it in the nicer car, for I am going to restore one and sell the other. But on the other hand, I think the engine is the original engine that came with the rust bucket. In the end I am going to sell one restored car and one engine-less body and buy a '67 fastback.
What to do? Thanks for all the opinions.
Seth

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Put the engine in the better car. If it were a Shelby or rare model I would say consider restoring the rust bucket, but since it is a I6 save yourself the time and money and restore the nicer car. I would even do the same thing with a pair of V8 cars in the same situation.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Bluefinger is right. Putting the engine in the most restoreable car gives you something to sell at a decent price. No one is going to pay very good money for a rust bucket with a 6-banger or a decent shell with no engine but a 6-banger suspension. Creating one decent, driveable car out of the two will give you your best return on investment, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i agree with the advice so far but if were me and i had an engine out of the car i would at least do a minor rebuild. That being the case i would start with the original engine and pull from the good engine whatever parts i need, block, heads... Then i would strip and save any part decent from the rust bucket and engine parts and send the rest off to the junk yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts