Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Next Big Trend?

I consider efficiency will be The Next Big Trend. The biggest wild card is the price of oil. I do think gas prices will reach $3 per gallon (SoCal area) within the next 12-18 months. An AOD/AODE conversion or Gear Vendors unit is viable alternative at that price.

The other Next Big Trend is continued customization of early Mustangs. Stroker kits are commonplace and shortcomings of the 347 have been resolved. A few brave souls are opting for the 4.6L swap. It's difficult to gauge the level of interest for the power adders (supercharger/turbocharger).

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Hard to gauge this. All the Mustang magazines are still touting all the $75,000 plus continuation cars. Or the way over spent customs that about 2 -3 other people in the country will even care to do.
We're still trying to figure out which Rack & Pinion REALLY fits.
And, it wasn't that long ago that a stroker kit for a Ford product was unavailable.
Folks are still trying to figure out the best way to put a late model engine in our old stuff. Cobra cammers, the suspension to go with it, all still pretty new to us.

·
Registered
21,479 Posts
I think that's tough to guess. But my $.02 is yes, fuel economy will increase on vintage Mustangs but more as a by product. I think due to attrition in general, prices will climb and the hobby will be more stratified. The people owning a vintage Mustang will have the money to spend, cost of gas will be insignificant. Increase in fuel milage will come from fuel injection kits and newer motors being swapped in. Maybe like the small Jag or Conti 4.0.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think due to attrition in general, prices will climb and the hobby will be more stratified.
IMO the real bargins are the Fox body Mustangs. There was a 5.0L LX Mustang convertible for sale at $2750. I haven't looked closer but it does need paint and more than likely a new top. I remember a 67 convertible that probably had not been driven in years. Asking price? 6K.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the Mustang magazines are still touting all the $75,000 plus continuation cars. Or the way over spent customs that about 2 -3 other people in the country will even care to do.
I agree. IMO most of the classic Mustang rags are poorly veiled advertisements and full of hype. No follow up articles and lame tech articles.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This thought is not original with me, but the fuel savings you get from an overdrive swap will take years to cover the expense -- particularly with the $3000+ Gear Vendors OD.

Here's a chart of fuel costs per 1000 miles with gas prices of $2 and $3 per gallon:

10 mpg and $2/gal = $200 per 1000 miles
15 mpg and $2/gal = $133
20 mpg and $2/gal = $100
25 mpg and $2/gal = $ 80
10 mpg and $3/gal = $300
15 mpg and $3/gal = $200
20 mpg and $3/gal = $150
25 mpg and $3/gal = $120

An overdrive will only bump you about 5 mpg, and only at cruising speed. So take a 15 mpg car and bump it to 20. Assume 10,000 miles per year, all at cruising speed (generous assumptions). The fuel costs at $2/gal are $1333 and $1000 respectively -- a savings of $333. At $3/gal the annual costs are $2000 at 15 mpg and $1500 at 20 mpg, for an annual savings of $500.

And this is without factoring in the opportunity costs of spending that money on an OD tranny rather than on an investment portfolio compounding at 10% per annum.

With a Gear Vendors and $3/gal gas it would take you seven years at 10,000 miles/year to recoup the outlay. With a T-5 or AOD -- assuming a $2000 "all in" installation expense -- it would take four years.

At $2/gal the Gear Vendors takes 10 years and the T-5 or AOD takes six years.

So while OD might be great for bragging rights, it doesn't make much economic sense.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the next trend is gonna be electric / alternative fuels. I'm thinking in 5 years, the price of gas will be back near $1.00 since it'll be less in demand with the new Toyota Prius type vehicles. ( I believe Ford purchased rights to use the same motor as the Prius ).

IMHO, they're shooting themselves in the foot right now. ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drive considerably more than 10K per year. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think the hybrids will continue to make inroads / sales as that technology becomes more commonly accepted for new and daily driver cars. But for vintage cars, unless it is a daily driver or the owner has a seriously heavy socio-ecological conscience, I think only a small percentage will be making radical fuel efficiency changes.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think the next huge trend in Classic Mustangs will be transplanting late model rear wheel drive EFI computer controlled engines into Mustangs. The efficiency and amout of tuning available with the computer processors will take over as the knowledge base of older carbureted systems receeds.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the next huge trend in Classic Mustangs will be transplanting late model rear wheel drive EFI computer controlled engines into Mustangs. The efficiency and amout of tuning available with the computer processors will take over as the knowledge base of older carbureted systems receeds.
Those things are friggin HUGE! Has anyone stuffed a 4.6 into a 65/66? That'd be sooo cool - but prolly as tough as dropping in a 460! :D

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,721 Posts
In MY world your math makes wonderful sense. ::
I decided my F150 needed an AOD. Bought a good used for $125. Was able to adapt/make what I needed to put in, so figure another $25 for new filter and fluid. Soon after I took a 3500 mile cross-country trip. Gas was more like $1.10 then, but I can still figure I recovered my costs with the first 2 months easily. Drove the truck about 5 years before the AOD gave trouble. I found a low miles one that was wreck-damaged for $50 and was able to build a good one out of the two. We can figure the cost was again recovered shortly.
Using the same formula I can figure the AOD I swapped into SWMBO's Mustang paid for itself in about 3-4 months.
Again, this is MY world. Now the T5 I gave $250 for....

·
Registered
149 Posts
According to the automotive publications I read, the current cost of replacing the nickel metal hydride batteries in the Prius is $5000 to $8000 dollars. IF you use them up, you are faced with that. IF you do not use them up but have five or six years on them, how will that effect your resale or trade in value. All of this has to be figured in the cost/ mile. I don't see them as a good deal in the long run.
Howard :(

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Very good point! I'd never considered that.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts