Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Firestone Indy 500's (not the wide oval) but they don't seem to be sold anymore. They have a fairly classic looking tread pattern. I'm looking for opinions on what you all think is a good looking tire with a tread pattern that doesn't scream aftermarket. Car is '69 restomod for weekend street use only. I know about looking at tirerack and all those sites. I'm just looking for personal opinions. Size will be 245/50-16.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's popular. Nice tread pattern. Not a high performance tire but good looks I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 for B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's popular. Nice tread pattern.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have seen those quite a bit. People tend to keep the white letters out with that tire as well. Even the sidewall looks classic. I do think they would look good on my car. Any other opinions?

·
Premium Member
13,186 Posts
I don't think you can get BF Goodrich Radial T/A's in that size (245/50-16) Unless the car is standing still 100% of the time, they suck anyway.

this is a good tire:

BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S. They are about $121 ea. from tirerack.com

not quite as good as the above tire is the BF Goodrich Traction T/A, as close as you can get to your desired size in that tire is 235/55-16 ($107) Both tires are close dimensionally (2.1 % speedo difference).

The Traction T/A has more "classic" looking tread pattern.

Z.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i have the same situation as you guys i have daytonas on my car and they are 235/60R14 and i love these tires except 3 things 1. one of them blew out, 2 they dont make them anymore,3 the current ones have been siting so long they are unbalencable i tried to balance them myself with a static balance and it wanted aobut 16 oz when it usualy only takes about 4 oz to balance a tire. so i will be looking for some classic ones as well and i usually hear about the B.F but i also like my friends whinchester tires the ones with the 2 flags on it.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My friend has those Firestone Indy 500 white letter tires on his 68, and really likes them. He is not going to be happy when I tell him they are no longer available.

Here is another vote for BFG Radial TA. I have them on my car, and think they are a good tire with great looks.

Has anyone seen the Traction TA in white letter form?

·
Premium Member
13,186 Posts
"..............Has anyone seen the Traction TA in white letter form?
no.

but I have seen Traction T/A's with the raised letters hand painted. They actually looked like they came that way. I don't know what kind of paint that was used.

Z.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts