Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to get some of your opinions on undercoating the undercarriage. When looking at the MCA 1969-1970 judging rule book (part 5-B) it shows that for the concourse driven class you can either have the undercarriage undercoated or not. The guy painting my car talked me into undercoating it. Now I am unsure. It looks very nice, but I’m worried it might not appear as nice as one with out the undercoating. I plan on showing the car and eventually selling it (way down the road). Any (and all) opinions on this would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Don't worry about it now. Not going to hurt you point wise as you mention. I think cars sent to a "Bad Weather DSO" got more undercoating than those going to a "Good Weather DSO"?

Possible buyer might think your "hiding" something or they will be glad it's well protected. Can go either way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks very nice, not over done, but I had the same concerns, mostly for resale. It would probably cost a lot to get it removed now.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I see your in Minnnesota, probably why your painter was all into it. Does it all the time. That would be a pretty major "do over".

Here it's hardly ever done that way.

You really have to take charge, and know everything ahead of time, to do one of these "correct".

G

·
The undercoating is going to make prospective buyers wonder what you're trying to hide. If you have pictures of the floorpans before the undercoating, that would be best. Otherwise be prepared for questions from buyers as to why you undercoated it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
does anyone have asome pics of a concourse driven car that has been undercoated?

the one thing i didnt like about the rules was stating that everything needed to be undercoated (gas tank and all) which to me looked a bit weird on a car thats otherwise 'correct'

G

·
does anyone have asome pics of a concourse driven car that has been undercoated?

the one thing i didnt like about the rules was stating that everything needed to be undercoated (gas tank and all) which to me looked a bit weird on a car thats otherwise 'correct'
Remember that there was very little undercoating done at the factory, mainly just in the front fender wheel wells. Anything else was painted over, like in the trunk or rear wheel wells.

That said, full undercoating was done by dealers, exclusively. This means that they would be undercoating a completely assembled car, and thus, this is why the rules state everything should be undercoated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone can tell me how, I'll post a couple of pictures of my undercarriage.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If someone can tell me how, I'll post a couple of pictures of my undercarriage.
1. click on the 'reply' link at the top of any of the posts.
2. make sure your pics are uploaded to another server so that you can link to them.
3. click on the 'Image' link in the 'Instant UBB code (this is directly below where you type your responses.
4. insert the web address of your link in the popup that appears
5. submit :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
why not leave it off and let the next owner decide what they want to do? If you are going to be driving it in the rain then put it on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s already done. I could still take it back off, with lots of effort (and $$). Right now my car is just a painted shell. I was getting fellow mustang enthusiast’s opinions before I go any further. It sounds like its fine for judging, but might pose questions for resale.

Here is a link showing some pictures.

http://www.stcloudstang.com/photo.htm

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well, the undercoating doesn't appear to be so thick to be attempting to hide anything so I don't think I would worry too much about questions at resale, however you will probably take a hit when being judged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts