Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on putting my battery in the trunk and using an Optima Battery in the 68. Which one should I buy and does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy them.
TIA

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
You should also consider the Exide Orbital battery - It's got the same spiral cell electrophoretic gel structure plus they have a little bit longer life (in independent lab testing) than the red top Optima. Which, to answer your question, is the usual battery of choice for "gangsta systemz."

You can buy them from Summit Racing and any Pep Boys auto parts chain store.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up on the Orbital battery. Exide has a plant in town and I will check on their price.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I was going to suggest that, Dave. Wonder if DEKA puts anything out there?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have the Optima Red top and totally love it and never had problems with it. I also bought mine from Costco for $99 two years ago.

A long time friend of mine has had one Optima Red top battery in several of his DD cars for the past 7-8 years with absolutely no problem, even with the extreme heat of AZ (which usually kills batteries in a year or two)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I put a red top in the trunk of my '66 and besides one blowing the vent within a few months (which was a terrible mess to clean up), I haven't had any problems. The bad one was warranteed so I didn't have any problems there either.

-Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts