Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to sell my 81 Ford Pickup and I need to put a battery in it. I bought a regular battery last spring and put it in the Mustang with plans to pull it eventually and use it in the Ford pickup. A local store here sells Optima batteries from Johnson Controls. They are permanently sealed with spiral cells instead of conventional stacked lead plates... and they look like a six pack of beer cans on steroids with either red, yellow or blue tops. The thing I like is they last much longer than regular batteries, expecially with infrequent use. So I'm seriously considering coughing up the $140.00 (cough, :: cough) for the red top Optima. I think it would be a good investment over another cheapie and was wondering what kind of luck others have had with this battery.

More info about it here:
Optima Batteries

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just purchased my Red-Top locally for $99 bucks. If you have a Costco in your area call them!! Sears Auto sells them regularly for $120 on sale, and $137 regular price.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw new ones on ehay too. One thing about living in a small town, costco and sears are 250 miles away! ::

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Something to keep in mind about the Optima batteries, tey have no reserve cranking amp capability. Which means when they are charged they have juice, if they get low, there is no reserve power for cranking the engine over (so to speak). All of our emergency vehicles came with them, just about the time we were having trouble with dead batteries (driving the mechanics nuts), my neighbor who has a BMW and a Ford master mechanic was out blowing his top one morning....he had a dead battery also. Make a long story short, after calling Johnson, he discovered this little fact. we told our mechanics who look rather puzzeled, checked it out, 30 days later we all had new lead-acid sealed batteries installed in all the command vehicles.....no problem since.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had one of those batteries fall out of the tray and land on my exhaust manifold(1980 Dodge Ramcharger) it melted down the battery until one of the terminals made contact with the manifold at which point the truck died. I pried the battery off the manifold, strapped it down, and the truck started right up, I kept wheeling the rest of the day. Any other battery would have spewed all the fluid out ruined the engine compartment and left me stranded on a mountain miles from nowhere. Not as much of a problem on a stang, but it could still fall into the fan or something. I always have a gel cell in my trucks at least, I haven't had to replace the stang battery yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts