Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeling like a whizco horse trader of late.....

After a little effort, my fastback as (hopefully) sold to a gent in the UK. He's promised a deposit to arrive soon. One down....

I have "project lowbuck" - a '66 coupe that I've been tinkering on. I've accumulated most all of the parts, but it's not yet assembled. A guy in my club is looking for just such a project, so I'm showing it to him tonight. Possible sale....?

Which leaves the '66 sprint coupe. It needs paint and interior work, and minor electrical work to be sellable. If I keep it, I'll re-shock and re-spring it.

Which brings me to my question: A friend's son has a '66 289 coupe that he's restored to the tune of about $10,000 invested - new floors, wiring, etc. Solid car, but he's been trying to sell it and realizes he's upside down. I could probably buy the car for $5000.

SO, do you think it would be better to sell the two sixer coupes, and buy the one 289 car? I really kinda like the 200 ci, but realize that resale on the V8 is much better.

What would you do? TIA - Dickson

·
Registered
466 Posts
if you are in this just to sell them when you are done, what one will you make the bigger profit on?? its that easy, but if you actually want to hold onto the car, comes down to, do you want a i6 or a v8? determine what you want to do first would be my suqestion, personally id get the 289 b/c id want the v8 and sell the two i6, depending on shape you might get a good chunk of the 5000 needed to buy the v8.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin - That's tough. I think you're underestimating the "bang for buck" style and fun you get, if not true performance, out of the (stock) sixer mustangs.

But I see your point.

Vintage-Gremlin.com wants you as a new member! ::

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Josh, from that standpoint sixers are only good for parting out and selling?

Watch out - here come the flames ! ::

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Wow Dickson, you're quite the salesmen. Want to see what you can get for my convertible? ::

James

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Do you want 1 or 2 mustangs? If you want just one...get the V-8. If you like having two, keep the 6ers and just build them up some.

I won't even go down the street telling how the sixs are great since you already know that. V-8 owners are compensating for something smaller (hehehe).

Slade

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Dickson- If I were you I would sell everything
and buy another project so I can sell you more
parts!!!(hehehe).
Just kidding, Project low buck should be worth
at least 2K to 2.5K considering the solid body.
People are always looking for the "rolling chassis"
project, aren't they?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Awwwwright Dickson, I gotta weigh in on this.

You said something very important in your description of this V8 car. You said the "R word" - restored. If this car is really restored and you buy it, knowing you, you'll just turn around and sell it. The reason I say this is that you're the kinda guy that needs a project to keep you happy (IME). Once a car has been completed, you wanna sell it. So...buying a car that has already been done by someone else may not work well for you.

If you want to sell the 6-bangers so you can get a V8, sell 'em. Just make sure you trade up. By this I mean that you should buy a car that need as much restoration work as possible. That is when you are the happiest! ;)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I say you finish project lowbuck and make a nice website documenting how it can be done on a tight budget.

You must have taken on the project to do something like that. It would be interesting to see the results if you finish it.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right. I'm happiest when faced with a challenge....and this car is really a challenge.

I'm holding on to it - for now !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts