Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is specifically for people who had travel plans during the pandemic and what happened with them and what the resolution was. This isn't whoa is me thread or complaining / whining. I get it. I'm just strictly looking for information.

It's amazing to me now how little I understood about what would happen at the time, but on March 1 two of my friends and I booked a trip to Las Vegas for the first week of June. It never even occurred to me that this would be a huge crisis, let alone go on through June and maybe beyond. But by middle of March it became clear that the trip probably wouldn't happen. So far the outbound flight was moved from 12pm and 8am. That's all we've heard about anything. I am assuming they will wait until the last second before they let get any sort of refund.

Has anyone else had travel plans affected by this? Did you book through a website like Orbitz or Travelocity? What was the end result? Did you get a refund? Was it difficult to get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Reopening dates for some of the off Strip resorts are April 17. Not sure how realistic that is as the state is likely to extend the non essential closure order at least until May. For major properties it’s May 1 with entertainment options coming online May 11. Bookings and pre sale event tix are available for those dates. I’d bet that gets pushed back to June. Pre bookings are showing some demand likely due to serious bargains but the reopening dates will be determined on health issues. Like many other areas we’re due to peak in 10 to 14 days. I know from firsthand info that it’s being monitored and modeled on an hourly basis. There are billions at stake but they can’t afford to open until safe for all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
My Wife and her twin Sister booked a Viking River Cruise in Europe for their 50th that was canceled due to COVID-19. Viking has been really good to deal with.

They gave them 2 options:
-Full refund
-125% of original price voucher that needs to be used within 2 years. If you do not use it, you get the original amount refunded.

They took the 125% and re-booked for this November. If COVID-19 is still causing disruptions in Nov, they get refunded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,295 Posts
I'd hold out as things may start cooling off by beginning of June with any luck. But maybe not. I held off booking any air travel for April during the month of March because I saw exactly where this was heading and didn't want to be part of it. So we booked a cabin in the Smokies for April 17th, thinking we'll be driving and in an isolated cabin. Well I obviously misjudged that one too. My wife is pregnant and due in September so we wanted to get one last vacation in before our first little one is here but that's probably not going to happen. The cabin rental let us cancel and our deposit is going into a 1 yr escrow account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reopening dates for some of the off Strip resorts are April 17.
We're going until at least April 30 here now in Denver. I think Colorado itself is April 11 but I heard today they are extending that. I think the governor of Virginia just extended theirs until June 10. Of course I wish this could be over by April 30, or even May 30. But I am not super optimistic. I intend to wait as long as possible before cancelling but I want to make sure Orbitz, the hotel and the airlines don't try to screw me over. I hate that Orbitz doesn't just take care of it. They already asked me to call the airline directly and then call Orbitz if there's an issue. So I'm just imagining that's like four total hours of hold time right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
My wife is pregnant and due in September so we wanted to get one last vacation in before our first little one is here but that's probably not going to happen.
Congratulations!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
We're going until at least April 30 here now in Denver. I think Colorado itself is April 11 but I heard today they are extending that. I think the governor of Virginia just extended theirs until June 10. Of course I wish this could be over by April 30, or even May 30. But I am not super optimistic. I intend to wait as long as possible before cancelling but I want to make sure Orbitz, the hotel and the airlines don't try to screw me over. I hate that Orbitz doesn't just take care of it. They already asked me to call the airline directly and then call Orbitz if there's an issue. So I'm just imagining that's like four total hours of hold time right there.
When you book directly with a major property you can always cancel up until a fews days or even the day before. What happens with many of the broker sites is the property sells blocks of rooms to the broker. At that point you’re left to deal with the broker. I’ve had good service with Orbitz so hopefully they’ll take care of you. I’m sure the providers will work with them and you. The industry has been well hammered at this point and they’ll want to make sure you’ll want to come back.

Edit: The state announced an extension of the closure order for the rest of April. It’s more likely to be a June reopening at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
My wife and her sister had planned a trip to Europe for the middle of March, obviously cancelled. They were flying British Airways on tickets bought through a travel agency. Both the airline and the travel agency sucked and couldn’t have been less helpful. I called AmEx to see what they would do and they opened an investigation. Didn’t think it would go anywhere but I had nothing to loose. Got an email a couple of days ago saying they had credited me the entire amount of the transaction. Now, the email also says there’s a period of time they could reverse this, but perhaps they won’t. Call your credit card company and see if they can help you. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
I had a trip to Hawaii planned for a couple weeks ago. Booked directly with Alaska Airlines and Marriott. No problem canceling and both gave a full refund, including my hotel deposit. I don't think my experience would have been the same if I had booked through Expedia, which is my alternate if I cant book direct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Had a trip to Disneyland scheduled for next week, and hotel reservation was made through hotels.com. Cancelled the hotel room with no problem. Disneyland said that if our tickets expired, the purchase price could be applied to new tickets. Since we only live a few hours away, that’s probably what we will do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
I had a trip booked to go the California in late April. I booked my flight with Southwest. I get a voucher good for a year from booking date, not travel date. I booked a rental car through Priceline. They are saying that due to high volume they are only processing cancellation requests within a 5 day window before the reservation. My guess is they really want to keep people locked in in hope this would blow over.

On a separate trip I had booked a conference in Las Vegas. Hanson Wade, the provider of the conference has "postponed" the 5 day conference and will not refund the $2,000+ fee. No date has been set for a reschedule or that this topic will actually be rescheduled. While I would like to attend the conference as originally offered, I have no idea if the agenda will change or if the new timing will work in my schedule. I have disputed the charge with my credit card company so we shall see what happens. Hanson Wade is a company based out of the UK so any legal remedy would be difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
No travel plans til the annual conference in Oct. I think it's in Phoenix this year. Bookings don't usually start til June-ish, so no changes here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
We had three hotels booked through Bookings.com, one hotel in Vegas booked direct, and tickets to see Shin Lim at another hotel. All were refunded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
All running races have been cancelled, with some rescheduled (like the Boston Marathon). Those I signed up for have generally offered three alternatives: deferral until next year, full refund (usually less the 5% on-line processing fee), or a partial refund if the organization is a small one that has incurred non-refundable costs and can't afford to do a full refund.

The running community is generally close knit and open about what's going on. None of my races was far enough away to require travel plans - we have a standing limit among my friends that we don't do a race that takes us longer to get to then it does to run. Of course, as we've gotten older and slower that has expanded the possibilities! I was looking forward to driving the Mustang to some of these events.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
I had a conf scheduled later this month in Nashville. Conf fee along with handling fee was automatically refunded, din't have to ask. Hotel wasn't surprised by cancellation. It was less than 1 1/2 hour drive so no airline to fool with.
My little brother travels frequently to various military bases....trips all cancelled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
On a separate trip I had booked a conference in Las Vegas. Hanson Wade, the provider of the conference has "postponed" the 5 day conference and will not refund the $2,000+ fee. No date has been set for a reschedule or that this topic will actually be rescheduled.
Word on the street is no convention or conference work until the fall, possibly as late as CES Jan 2021. That has to do more with bookings than available space but if your reschedule happens it won’t be for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
My Wife and I were suppose to be in Jamaica right now. Air Canada Vacations. They are NOT giving money back but a 2 year voucher instead. The Viking one posted by 68Hildago is fantastic with either money back or 125% for 2 years. That is outstanding service!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
Word on the street is no convention or conference work until the fall, possibly as late as CES Jan 2021. That has to do more with bookings than available space but if your reschedule happens it won’t be for a while.
Exactly, that is why I would like a refund now as who knows what would happen between now and a re-schedule. I totally get not refunding if I cancel, that was not the case. I did hear from my credit card company that the dispute is still open and Hanson Wade has till May 11th to respond.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top