Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my 1970 early Bronco now onto my 67 Coupe.
Question is it ok to redo all my interior before painting exterior.

Just finished alot of panel replacement, 289 and C4 new and waiting to drop in. The body work is going to take me a while, metal work done. My thought is I would like to get the motor and tranny in, running and driving and then do the body work over the next year and have it in primer.

Would I regret installing all new interior then painting exterior later?

·
Registered
537 Posts
i restored two classic mustangs and grew up working in my uncle body shop, and i would do the body work first. interior is the cheapest part. the 67 fastback k code i just got has ok interior. no rips in the interior but i would still need to replace in, but i will do the body first and interior last. i can replace the interior part by part. easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
+1
To do a really nice job, I'd entirely remove the interior. Well, I'd leave in the headliner (unless you are replacing that too). Overspray gets everywhere.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You can always pull the seats and carpet back out later and cover the dash and anything else. I can understand you wanting to drive it while you are working on it. Just takes a few more precautions with it in place.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i agree with these guys. i understand anxiety gets the better off you and you want to drive the car, but its worth doing the exterior first.

on mine i completely removed everything and right now the front body work is complete and the front is ready to go (minus hood and fenders), and dash is painted. i will be reinstalling majority of the old interior and piece by piece or section by section replacing what needs replacing.

you will enjoy it more if the exterior is done first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts