Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many people have there stangs orginal? i know i cant do that some of the colors of my stang are ugly and i have to change the color and that usually means i have to change something else on it to to make it match! that includes engine, pipes, etc!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
All but two of my present group of Mustangs and Shelbys are fairly stock (would appear stock to most onlookers) Simple to see that the one below is not one of the original ones In general, find the effort to turn them back to original more enjoyable, challenging but in many ways easier and often cheaper than modifying.

Current bunch, 66 GT350, 66 FiberFab ET (below), 69 CJ Mach I, 69 Boss 302, 68 Calif Special, 68 NHRA Super Street, 71 429 CJ XR7

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jeff_Speegle on 04/01/01 01:31 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
708 Posts
I try to keep my 66 coupe as stock/original as possible. I'm not really upgrading or modifying it. A removable rear window demister and a super stereo are the only additions, but I wouldn't call that modifying....

The PO however did change the color of the exterior by simply respraying it white without stripping a thing. I soon discovered it's true color, Prairie Bronze Metallic, which is not a color I can live with. Though I saw some pics of stangs in that color later and it doesn't look as bad as expected. It actually can look good, just a bit dull...

So in conclusion I am keeping the new ext. color (white) in my bare metal respray. To match that, I have put in a medium blue interior, which was parchment/palomino originally.

Depending on how you look at original or stock as a definition, my car is not original. It didn't leave the factory this way, but I'm using standard colors which were available then, so if you look at it a different way you might still call it stock.

Just depends on your view.

Columbo

First time rolling restoration, 66 289 nearing completion.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm staying as stock as possible. No, I'm not going out looking for NOS items or anything, (daily driver)I'm using repo or original where possible. I agree with Jeff on the fact that it's sometimes cheaper to stay w/stock parts. If I were to ever modify one of my projects, I would ALWAYS keep the body lines and panels stock and only modify it w/bolt-on stuff. I'm actually thinking of getting a 65 or 66 coupe body and going with the 5.0EFI,Global West suspension,etc.....
But for my present as well as past it's always been stock.

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My 68 GT500 is restored and totally stock. Am doing a 68 1/2 CJ at the moment, it to will be totally stock.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have all original equipment (matching numbers. original tranny, etc.), but I painted it a different color. Mainly because I HATE the original color (Sunlit GOld..ugly goldish, orangish, brownish color). Also, I replaced the rally wheels with Magnum 500's, which were not offered until '70 (were on the 60 Boss 302 though)..

So in my opinion, there is no reason to stay with the original color if you hate it. If your going to show it, you'll get a deduction. If you like the original color, that's great, stay with it. The closer to original the better. Changing the interior and exterior color is harder to undo. I stayed original in the interior (plain black).

What are the original colors??

The bottom line it to have fun.

JJ
69 Fastback 302 2v 3sp. trans.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1605599&a=12251632&p=44630868.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mine is on it's way back to original. Currently in work returning the interior from black back to it's original parchment and burgundy. Everything else is correct except the wheelcovers. They were originally wire wheel covers.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582316&a=12039610&p=45219205.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is close to original, the bench seat isn't Otherwise it is original

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts