Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Interesting. Smart move selling now while capital gains taxes are probably as low as they ever will be.

I wonder if the Keirnan family did much to the car that should be undone to return the car to movie original?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Approximately 2:45 EST this afternoon

John

Reactions: patrickstapler

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
From what I've read over the years, none of the movie stuff was undone. It was driven for awhile, then parked. When it came out a couple years ago, it was just fixed to be driveable, but not restored.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i have a bunch of pictures I took of it, was there last Thursday. that car is rough to say the least. they have it in a glass case with an armed guard walking around it all day, no kidding.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interesting. Smart move selling now while capital gains taxes are probably as low as they ever will be.

I wonder if the Keirnan family did much to the car that should be undone to return the car to movie original?

The Kiernans did less than the studio did.

Before the car was sold to first-owner Robert Ross and second-owner Frank Marranca it was re-painted, and had new bright-work installed, which killed a fair bit of “screen accuracy”. There is also evidence that a Monte Carlo bar was installed at some point; I’m guessing it was removed after filming. When Marranca sold the car to the Kiernan’s it was transported by train, and somewhere along it’s journey the original Shelby GT500 steering wheel and shift knob were stolen.

Bob Kiernan installed a generic 3 spoke wheel, and a Hurst shifter after he took possession of the car, but they didn’t modify much else. Though before the car was parked in the early 1980’s, it was in a minor front-end collision, and some of the front sheetmetal was disassembled. At this point, I’m not sure how much of the current front sheet metal on the car is original. I’m assuming that just the valance, grille, and bumper were changed. Regardless, it all looks “correct” enough, and I’m glad that Sean didn’t hang obviously “new” stuff on the car when he put it back together in 2016.

Now, one point of contention is that there has been some (perhaps unintentional) misinformation spread since the car has resurfaced. When Sean put the car back together a Shelby “Accessory” wheel was installed, and Sean has said that that was the exact wheel that was on the car in the movie, though screen stills show plainly that it was an actual GT500 wheel that was installed (the hubs are very different). Also, quite famously Molly McQueen said that the Hurst shifter was “just like grandpa had it”. That is incorrect. I’m thinking that Ford has skin in the game on that one, because the 2019 “Bullitt” has a Hurst shifter.

Still, the Kiernan’s ownership is now a very well-documented aspect of this vehicle’s history, and I think that changing it in ANY way would only serve to hurt the car’s value. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Just a bit - like a huge lot - above my snack bracket! I like how the seller started at the price his father got it at, classy touch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hammered at $3,400,000
Add $340,000 for buyer's premium/fee for a total of $3,740,000 (or thereabouts)!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Time to turn that baby into an Eleanor clone. :) (What was that movie where Richard Pryor had to burn through a fortune?)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts