Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the 6 or so original 1966 Shelby Convertibles, could one have been black exterior with red shelby stripes with a red pony interior?? My new trainer says he bought it at a museum in TX. Sounds like a funny original color combination or a bogus one.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
There were actually only 4 Shelby convertibles made in 66, and I believe they are all accounted for. Your friend probably has a very nice clone. There are several museums that specialize in car sales of nice classics and exotics. Not exactly Art or History museums, more like nice indoor used car sales. I hope to own and operate one someday.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
John - Can't comment on the color combo, but my bet is that unless your trainer is independently (quite) wealthy, then he probably did not buy one of the original supposed 6 GT-350 convertibles from 1966.
Hope he did not way overpay for a clone. Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
It could be one of the "continuation" models that Shelby And California Mustang put together about 1980 but it definitely is not one of the oringinal 4 convertibles.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
277 Posts
It could be wrong but I distinctly remember reading that there were 6 original 66 Shebly convertibles and 1 is confirmed to have been destroyed. This might have been in the Mustang Buyer's Guide?

Houston, TX 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear. Other than the engine I don't know what is original!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I too believed there were 6, but I was corrected by a club member who pointed out in the registry that only 4 were made. It is a common misconception.

I don't know the whereabouts, but I don't think there are any in barns or in "my uncles' neighbor's brother's garage in Montana".

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
you're right, Carroll Shelby made up six 66 convertibles and gave all away, one to his secretary in fact. He later did 12 more in the 1978-79 time frame (used K-codes bought off the open market). there have been several articles written about each and eveyone of the six, and all have been accounted for....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nope - the "6" number that has circulated for years is incorrect. The Shelby American Auto Club has all the invoices for 1966 Shelbys - only 4 convertibles made. Colors were:
#2375 Green/black top
#2376 Yellow/Black top
#2377 Red/white top
#2378 blue/white top

(refer to Shelby American World Registry 1997 page 544).

A color photo of the Yellow one can be found on
www.rocketcitymustang.com/miscpics.html

Mike's Auto Emporium
http://home.hiwaay.net/~mgreene
Rocket CIty Mustang Club
www.rocketcitymustang.com

1966 GT-350H 1969 428SCJ Mach 1
1970 Boss 302 1993 SVT Cobra

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Further checking of the registry also lists the colors for the "continuation" convertibles (12 total):

5 were blue
5 were white
1 black (with black top and black pony interior)
1 red

These also have Shelby serial numbers - ask your trainer for the number on his and I can verify whether it's one of these twelve or not...

Mike's Auto Emporium
Rocket CIty Mustang Club

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It's my understanding that of the 12 continuation cars, only 6 were completed. 3 went to Carroll and 3 to Beverly Hills (?) Mustang who built them. The remaining S/Ns where also split between the two parties.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know where I can find additional pictures of any of the originals, continuations, or clones. I'd like ideas for my "clone in progress". I just started the conversion and have only done minor changes thus far (bullet mirror, gas cap, seat belts etc). The car has a black interior and a black top. I am thinking of doing the exterior either green or blue. Any suggestions?

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
427 S/C Cobra Replica

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Not according to the Shelby Registry... here are the original owners:

#2381 (Red) Beverly Hills Mustang
#2382 (Blue) Carroll Shelby
#2383 (Blue) Paul Foley
#2384 (Blue) Gary Traugh
#2385 (White) John Veal
#2386 (Blue) Sharon Shelby
#2387 (White) Michael Shelby
#2388 (Blue) Patrick Shelby
#2389 (White) Keith Thompson
#2390 (Black) Beverly Hills Mustang
#2391 (White) Tom Gloy
#2392 (White) Martin Mazman

Mike's Auto Emporium
Rocket CIty Mustang Club

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, I found a pretty good article in November 1983 Mustang Monthly magazine about the continuation models. It has a picture of Mike Shelby's white w/ blue stripes and Sharon Shelby's blue w/ white stripes. Both were equipped w/ pony interior and Nitrous. If anyone knows of any other pictures or articles of originals, continuations or clones, please let me know.
Thanks!

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
'65 427 Cobra S/C Replica

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I was able to chat with one of the owners of one of the continuation cars at the Anaheim meet in '84. He was pretty pleased with the car. Having a replica 'vert at home, I scrutinized the car pretty closely. For that particular car, body work was evident and details were (IMHO) sub-par. For the price which quickly zoomed from $35k to $45k, I would have expected better. The exchange rate with the British pound was quite good at the time, and the Mark V GT-40s from Safir Engr were competively priced. ... Sorry for the ramble. I'll need to dig out my old registry and update it. Thanks again.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to bring up this old post but does anyone have some photo's they can post or leave a link to some? Especially any with roll-bars. I saw the photo at rocketcitymustang but was wondering if there were any other pages with more photo's of better quality. Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here you go, I tripped across this the other day. I have been recently investigating turning a 65 convertible into a clone.... my bad luck in a way because i have a six cylinder car.... well here is a ling to a really nicely done clone http://www.mustangjack.com/collectors/gt350_conv.htm let me know if this works or not. if not i will send you a link.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts