Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this battery in a '60s vintage Mercury station wagon in a junkyard a few years ago. The hood was stuck down due to collision damage so the battery was never removed. I was able to open the hood and extract the battery. Anyone know how to interpret the dates and other markings?

Thanks. Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
THAT IS COOL.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Jim, saw your post on the SAAC forum today. The best guy from Concours Mustang gave you the best answer.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
1) that it was a Factory assembly line battery (the Unicorn!), 2) there is a heat impressed stamp on it that had a date in it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
What can you do with it? Is it possible that it's still usable after all these years in a junkyard?

·
Registered
263 Posts
What can you do with it? Is it possible that it's still usable after all these years in a junkyard?
I've heard of people trying to use the "case/shell" of the old batt and hide a new batt inside..not sure of success or failure tho..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
I would not cut that one apart to try to put another battery inside. I would make sure it's completely empty of any electrolyte, clean it up and set it in the battery tray of a Concours restored car. That is a true gem.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,735 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts