Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a hard time figuring out the proper date range for finding a 390 to go back in my 1967 Mustang GT S code. I have read and heard the proper block code is anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks before the production date of the car. Is that correct? My cars production date is May 22nd 1967. If anybody could help tell me the proper code ranges I should be searching for a block to build on is I'd appreciate it!. TIA

· Premium Member
15,653 Posts
4 weeks to 6 weeks sounds right to me. The date code on the block is the day the block was actually cast. It would require at least 4 weeks after the block was cast for it to be machined, assembled into a complete engine and shipped to the factory for installation in a car. I suppose a Dearborn (F) car could have an engine date closer to the car's assembly date due to the fact that it is closer to the engine plant than San Jose (R) or Metuchen (T).
Maybe somebody who owns a '67 S code with the original engine will chime in.

Now that I think about it VMF member Josep owns a '73 F100 that was built in May as I recall and the 390 engine was built in April according to the sticker on the valve cover. I don't remember his block's casting date but I'm sure he does. I'll tell him to chime in but he's in Spain and sleeping now so it will be a few hours.

· Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Sounds like it in a pretty good range to me based on my research.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
........ My cars production date is May 22nd 1967......
So an engine block cast # C6ME-A , date 7C22 , machine date 7D16 would be pretty accurate for my cars build date ?
7C22 does not match with May 22nd 1967 but March 22nd 1967.
7D16 is April 16th 1967

awhtx said....Now that I think about it VMF member Josep owns a '73 F100 that was built in May as I recall and the 390 engine was built in April according to the sticker on the valve cover. I don't remember his block's casting date but I'm sure he does.
Correct, my 73 F100 was built in San Jose in May, and the engine build date according to that sticker, on April 4th 1973. My block casting number is 3D17 which is April 17th 1973.

Hope this helps.

Josep

· Registered
1,135 Posts

· Registered
1,090 Posts
There are examples of date codes that are closer to the vehicle's build date, as close as a week or two before. Keep in mind that the data plate's date is the "scheduled" build date of the car. I understand there were instances where there were delays on the assembly line that resulted in the engines appearing to be cast closer to the build date on the car than expected. There is a reasonable range of dates that are still within "correct" for any given car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.