Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people’s opinions on which flowmaster sounds better? I am debating between the 2 and would like to hear from people who have them on their cars or have heard them in person. Thanks!

·
Registered
801 Posts
The correct answer to this question is Glasspacks or Magnaflows. =)

Flowmasters blow! They sound like black cats in a trashcan. I hate em!

But if you must choose between the two - most people who try to drive on the highway with the 40's really hate the drone. 44's are marginally quieter, and drone less.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
553 Posts
What are people’s opinions on which flowmaster sounds better? I am debating between the 2 and would like to hear from people who have them on their cars or have heard them in person. Thanks!

I had the 40s before. Sounded awesome for a few minutes... then I got on the highway, and the drone just killed me. The drone is “noticeable” but it’s all you hear. I like the way flowmasters sound, but could not deal with the drone.

I would recommend Super 50s. They still scream when you get on it, but drone is waaaaaaaay less.

Otherwise, Super 44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Using both the 40 (2 chamber) and 50 (3 chamber) series on 2 cars, overall I like the 50's better for a comfortable sound while driving. The 40's are loud all the time, but they do match the aggressive look of the car. Bottom line is if you want a good driver without aggresssive sound when cruising, go 50's. If you want the 'here I am' sound, go 40's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As you can read, a lot of people don't like the drone of flowmasters. I agree with vintage V-8s especially if the cam has some overlap - it's just too much.
However, I think flowmasters do have their place. I have a flowmaster exhaust on my 2008 F150 and it sounds great. Of course it is a single 3 inch exhaust. I ended putting the 44s on my mustang with a 5.0 and fairly aggressive cam and it sounded mean at idle but way too loud at cruising speeds.....and that is with the top down. I changed out to turbo mufflers.

·
Administrator
19,327 Posts
I always thought Flowmasters had an "in a barrel" sound but I don't mind it. I found out from hanging around with guys doing turbos that the basic Flowmaster design adds back pressure and so I dropped them like hot rocks and will never use them again. Plus the design doesn't really work well with turbos because of the lack of exhaust pulses.My current favored ones are old school "GM turbo" mufflers in stainless. Though only one of the fleet is currently blowing a turbo through one I like all my vehicles to be able to breathe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
my thoughts on my flowmasters on my '70 is that they sound great at idle and even cruising, but wot sounds awful.

how do magnaflows sound with an h-pipe vs an x-pipe? I have heard magna's with x-pipes on newer mustangs and sound good, but never heard one with an h-pipe. I am considering swapping my flowmasters out for spintechs. anybody have thoughts/experience on those?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The original Flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber sounds way better than the 44. It does drone some though and may be a nuisance depending on your motor and setup etc. The drone is the only thing that bothered me about them, but it did cause me do dislike them for a few years. They still sound far better than Magnaflow or glasspacks though. I have Dynomax Ultraflo and have been content with them overall for a while. They have less drone, but just don't sound as good, but I 've had them for quite a few years now. I'm about to switch the a pair of Thrush Welded and see how they do, probably similar to Flows, but I've heard that they drone a little less, so maybe they'll be good. The original Flowmaster 50 series 3 chamber sounded alright. I have a few friends that have had them, but I don't see them listed anymore, just other 50 series variations.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm running 2 and 1/4 with an H pipe through a pair of 40s, then out a pair of 2 and 1/2 tails because that's the only size I could get in mandrel-bent. I will eventually replace everything but the tails with something else. I like the 40s, sounded MEAN AS HELL with turn-downs under the car but I got tired of the deep noise when crusing slow. The tails totally killed that. I don't have any drone but there is definitely a different pitch about 2,000 rpm then it mellows way out. I like the bark of a quick stab of the skinny pedal. But, I'm thinking I may go back to a pair of glass packs or if money permitted (haha) the Arvinode system reproduced by Waldren.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Black widow venoms! or neighborhaters!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
2nd66 has 40s copies, its LOUD - sounds nasty but... I run 50s 3 chamber. Off throttle they have a nice rumble, on throttle they are quite loud but not quite as loud as the 40s. I always get complements on the autocross course regarding the sound of my car, including last weekend. If you pedal back on them you can drive by a cop and not wake him up. I have always liked them except when I have to drive over 45 minutes on the freeway or highways. IT gets old pretty quick and after a week of daily driving I was glad to get my dd back again and park the Mustang. I think beyond the back pressure that is a common complaint, their main failing is a single wall construction. Better mufflers have dual walls so all the sound goes out the back instead of through the wall and into the interior. Eventually, I will go to a different dual-wall muffler, I'm getting pretty done with the noise and now that I am aging, I don't feel as much need to make up for any other "inadequacies" I thought I needed to in my youth.

I used to ride a loud Harley and when I bought my Mustang it had the FMs with mind-numbing dumps. I drove it to my autocross buddy's house to show it off and the first words out of his mouth were: "you must have been ignored as a child"...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts