Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
On the Retail Invoice, the 427 V8 is referred to as a "Special Installation Package". Makes me wonder if it was dealer installed??? I wonder what the Shelby Invoice to the dealer shows???

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The info in the Shelby Registry is consistant to these documents to a point. The selling dealer, Serial number, Brittnay Blue color, and buyer all check out.

The 427 was listed as a factory option. With that said, Shelby paparwork suggest that only (3) cars left SA with a 427. I see nothing in the Registry stating that this was an original 427 car. Most (of the few) 427 cars were dealer installed (a VERY expensive option at the time), perhaps consistant with the 427 "special installation package" listed on the invoice and the total sale price. It appears that this original owner traded the '67 for a '69 Shelby later. Also, the Registry states that a later owner purchased the car with a 390, and replaced it with a 427.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I saw a TV show once where they were talking with some of the guys with Shelby and they were showing a 67 GT-500 that they drove on a track in Texas for something like 1000 miles on these Goodyear tires they were promoting. It was originally supposed to be Carroll himself driving but he had some health issues so one of his top guys did it instead. Anyway, this GT-500 had a 427, they said it was dealer installed, as were all 427's in any Shelbys. They said who the dealer was but I can't remember, I think it was in CA. They said after the car was returned to the dealership they had a really hard time selling it./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow! That is a nice car! (...and I didn't even understand all the stuff they say about it)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when we are talking dealer installed, does that mean the car was delivered to the dealer with a 428 that was replaced with a 427? I that case I can understand that it was an very expensive option.

Also, with this document, wouldn't it be fair to say it's an original 427 car. I mean, what is an original 427 car if not this?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
That work order tells me that the car was ordered with a 427, power steering, power disc brakes, etc., but the dealer installed the 427.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes, I believe the Shelbys that were destined for dealer installed 427 motors arrived at the dealer with 428's. As I recall, the 427 was a ~$3,000 option, a TON of money in 1967.

The only thing more original than a documented dealer-installed 427 would be one of the three Shelby installed 427 cars.

I think this documentation would build a strong business case that this car is one of the orignal 'dealer-installed' 427 cars. If you or someone you know is thinging about purchasing this Shelby, I would urge you to speak with the SAAC to further verify it authenticity.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'll give'm a grand over original sticker and not worry about authenticity./forums/images/icons/smile.gif One can dream can't he?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
as a "survivor" from the era, I can attest to a LOT of "under the table" dealings with these cars....

We had a place called Stick City here in SoCAl that handled strictly high performance cars, mostly musclecars of the era (late 1960s).

I remember me and a few friends dropping by one afternoon as they were unloading a brand-new 1968 1/2 fastback Cobrajet, green in color. The plastic was still on the seats!!!

At any rate, the car was pulled into the garage and the 428 IMMEDIATELY taken out while a brand new, in the crate Holmon-Moody 427 was sitting waiting to be put into the car. I recall the mechanics laughing at the 428 saying "just like Ford - builds a bitchin car like this and puts a station wagon motor in it!!"

In those days, money talked and you could get the dealer to do just about ANYTHING to make the sale. High performance parts ranging from simple intakes and headders to complete monster horsepower engines were available over the counter and of course, installed by Ford dealership mechanics. Even though the car says this code or that code, there are many original owners out there that had their cake (ie engine change) before even taking possession of the car....

randy

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Did you see where it is a " Tudor" sedan?
It looked very odd untill I knew they ment 2 door.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
I'm not sitting here with my registry but Shelby only made 2 "factory" 427's. (maybe 1 or maybe 3) SAAC has the paperwork. That is factory installed at the Shelby American airport assembly line. The price was $7500, at a time where you could buy a 427 Cobra for that much, and the 427 Shelby owner would be looking at your tail lights. Some dealers installed a 427 while new. Others (most) put it in after an owner blew up the 428 and warrantied the motor,and paid the difference.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your input. It's been very educational. And yeah, I wish I could buy this car, but I think I'll rather have a 65-67 Shelby (for 40 to 50 K) that you're not afraid to drive. I think I would be with this car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts