Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
I have a few questions about my Mustang, and I hope someone can help.

My car is a '68 302 Fastback registered first time December 31st, 1967.
The VIN/Warranty Number is: 8R02J126961

When I bought the car an additional engine with transmission followed. I can't find VIN or partial VIN on any of the engines. Both engines needs restoration - and I am to decide if I shall restore one of them or buy a brand new one.

The engine currently in the car has the block number: D2OE-6016-AB 2E15 and is (if I have decoded it right) definently not the original engine.

The extra engine is more interesting as the block number is: C8OE-6015-A and has the production date: December 22nd 1967. When I removed the intake manifold it said 302.
What bothers me is the 3rd letter "O" which indicates that it comes from a Fairlane or Torino.
As the dates match so well, I would like to know if it is possible that this block could have been used original for the car?
I have seen the same block-number on this page: C8OE-6015-A which gives me hope - not that it's a Shelby engine - but that it might be the engine the car was born with.
I will appreciate all thoughts and additional information concerning this!
The transmission number is: C8ZP-7D27-A/RF-C-OP/A704 OP/8R126961

One more thing...
The car has drum brakes both front and back today. I have heard that the 302 models originally came with disc brakes in front (and that might have been changed on my car) - can anyone confirm that?

Thank you for reading - and I look forward to your response.

Regards
Leander

·
Registered
734 Posts
The C8OE- block sounds Correct with the [7M22] Date code. You will never find a C8ZA- block, if that is what you were expecting, they were all OE- for Small Block and AE- For Big Block. Pull the Valve covers and check for 302 4V stamped on the Cylinder Heads. They also have Dates. Hopefully you still have the 1-Year Only J-code Heads. It IS a shelby GT-350 Engine, except the Shelby used an Aluminum Intake Manifold and some later models got Holley Carbs, From what I remember

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Power disc brakes was option, separate from 302. You can get a Marti report and find out what, where, when etc. on your car. D2 means originally for 72 design.
The 302 engine engineering numbers were taken out for the 68 Torino.
Welcome to VMF....enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts

When I bought the car an additional engine with transmission followed. I can't find VIN or partial VIN on any of the engines. Both engines needs restoration - and I am to decide if I shall restore one of them or buy a brand new one.
If you can manage it, original is always the better value.

The engine currently in the car has the block number: D2OE-6016-AB 2E15 and is (if I have decoded it right) definently not the original engine.
Um, yeah, it's engineered in 1972.

The extra engine is more interesting as the block number is: C8OE-6015-A and has the production date: December 22nd 1967. When I removed the intake manifold it said 302.
What bothers me is the 3rd letter "O" which indicates that it comes from a Fairlane or Torino.
Not true. That only means the Fairlane office paid for the engineering. It could be from a Mustang, Comet, or even a boat.

As the dates match so well, I would like to know if it is possible that this block could have been used original for the car?
Abso-friggin-lutely. In fact, the was NO "Z" code engine in 68 at all.

I have seen the same block-number on this page: C8OE-6015-A which gives me hope - not that it's a Shelby engine - but that it might be the engine the car was born with.
You betcha. Comparing the casting dates with the build date of the car would be a pretty good indicator. Ford was supposed to start stamping the VIN on engines in 68, but my own investigation of engines 68-up shows they were pretty careless about actually doing it.

Could also be original, especially since the Z code indicates a Mustang-style floor shift lever.

One more thing...
The car has drum brakes both front and back today. I have heard that the 302 models originally came with disc brakes in front (and that might have been changed on my car) - can anyone confirm that?
No. The front disc brake option was not standard with the 302, but was optional. J code 68 GT's had 9" rear axles, and typically front disc brakes, but non GT J codes came with neither.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi Guys!

One more thing...

Thank you for reading - and I look forward to your response.

Regards
Leander
The 8R126961 that is most likely stamped on the Top of the Transmission Case matches your VIN Number you supplied above. It IS the Original Transmission to that car. Another thing that happened sometimes and not others. the VIN stamped on the Trans Case. IMHO

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The 8R126961 that is most likely stamped on the Top of the Transmission Case matches your VIN Number you supplied above. It IS the Original Transmission to that car. Another thing that happened sometimes and not others. the VIN stamped on the Trans Case. IMHO
You might want to look again at the engine to see if that same number is stamped on the flat area just behind the back of the intake manifold.

Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The C8OE- block sounds Correct with the [7M22] Date code. You will never find a C8ZA- block, if that is what you were expecting, they were all OE- for Small Block and AE- For Big Block. Pull the Valve covers and check for 302 4V stamped on the Cylinder Heads. They also have Dates. Hopefully you still have the 1-Year Only J-code Heads. It IS a shelby GT-350 Engine, except the Shelby used an Aluminum Intake Manifold and some later models got Holley Carbs, From what I remember
Thanks for all the replies - I really appreciate it!
Well I probably expected to find the code: C8ZE on the block for it to be the original engine the car wan born with. But I'm very excited that this C8OE could be the one! I will give it an other go to look for the stanped VIN on the Top of the Transmission Case :)

If it really IS a GT-350 block... Well the thought alone gives me goose bumps! Would that be verified in the Marti Report?

Does that mean that the entire car is a GT-350 or could they just have used this block in an "ordinary" Fastback?
When I decode the VIN it says:
Year: 8 1968
Plant: R San Jose, CA
Body Series: 02, 2+2 Fastback
Engine: J 302 4v V8
Unit: 126961 126961

I'm sorry for all these "novice" questions. This is all new to me even though I've had the car for a few years.

Regards
Leander

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
All this means it that it could be the original engine. I don't know anything about Shelby engines, but I guess this is the block that was used in the shelbys along with most other 68 302's

·
Registered
734 Posts
The 1968 Shelby GT-350 used the Same J-code 302 4V as all other Ford and Mercury Cars. the Shelby had a Shelby Aluminum Intake Manifold was mostly it. The Marti will not call your car a Shelby unless it is one, but it will call out the 1-Year only 302 4V. The Motor Block you have is an Original Ford-Mercury 1968 302 block. It can only be Verified as Original to Your Specific Car with Date Stamps and the VIN Stamp.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Look here for the VIN stamp on a 68-up 289/302.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts