Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
That's likely a rebuild tag. AC Delco was eventually GM's house brand. I think the early pumps were Ford / Carter.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
myfirst66 car is correct.
That is a Delco fuel pump.
The original pump was a Carter.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
994 Posts
Might want to rebuild it and keep as a spare, or offer it up on the FREE board.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Hold on, now. Could be an original pump, just re-manufactured under license by AC. Even Ford's Rotunda made parts for other makes and Ford / Motorcraft offered some remanufactured stuff. Could be a good pump to put on the shelf. Find an original if you can, sure, but unless it is NOS or rebuilt, and maybe even then, it may have an old diaphragm that is dry rotted and leaks. I think I am running an aftermarket Carter pump that looks like an original. Some 65-68 guys are running the 65 cannister type for better filtration and a period-correct look. All this depends on your budget and how Concours you wanna go.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Here's an example from our friends at West Coast Classic Cougar of a Carter pump that has the screw-on body like the suspected AC rebuild you have there...
X_1.jpg

A Google search of "Carter 6838 fuel pump" brings up a mountain of listings for a rebuildable pump versus the crimped type, including this one. The 8638 is a typo.

Some of these pump bodies are VERY valuable to restorers. Clean carefully. It may be easily rebuilt. Could be a diamond. Could be just a lump of coal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a need to maintain a totally original car and would rather have reliability, so switching it out did not bother me. I don't know about if this pump is original or not, but I can say it appears really old and there have been many other original parts on this car. I guess I could get the pump rebuilt but I am overwhelmed with trying to get it running good, so not a priority at this time. I'm willing to let it go if there is any interest. I just put it in a box and put it on the shelf.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I don't keep it, I will just give it away to a member here. All the advice I have have gotten for FREE in the last several months from forum members, especially from awhtx, has been invaluable. I cannot imagine the cost if I had to pay for it. I would love to reach a stage where I had that type of experience and information, but maybe in the future I can give back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts