Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just bought a 66 fastback and the color code on the warranty plate is blank. Seems it was a special order paint, with a DSO 711771 (71=LA) Car was built in San jose. Car is white now (cheap) but looks to have been previously painted a nice saphirre blue (good quality), ugly lime green (really....) and the original color looks like Guardsman blue.... can it be? Blue has a hint of green. What other color can it be that was not a stock 66 color? did they have Guardsman Blue readily availble at the San Jose assembly plant?
Original owner was a William Dean Lane (Billy Lane) from Covina, CA

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
...original color looks like Guardsman blue.... can it be?
You bet it can! All a buyer had to do was ask. He may have seen another make on the lot, and said "I want my fastback the same color as that Fairlane over there." It was that simple. It would sure be a looker in that blue! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I got a good look at the color, it definitly looks like guardsman blue. I guess I need to go to a car show and compare to be sure. Anyone know if any shelbys were painted that color at the San Jose factory? I think they came in Saphirre blue. Did they mix the paint at the factory? Thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guardsman Blue was a color used by Ford Motor Company on 1964 models. It was a regular factory option for the Mustang for the "1964 1/2" model year only. Therefore, Guardsman Blue was never an option on any year Shelby (65-70). Guardsman Blue Lemanns Stripes were added (to a small percentage) of '65 Shelbys' at the Shelby American factory in Venice and later in Los Angeles. I imagine it was possible to special order this beautiful color; though unusual--but certainly possible--but with the effects of time and oxidation, it might be tricky to ID it conclusively without paperwork, maybe not--I'd have to see it (if you can post some pics, some of us who are familiar with the color can help ID it). To help identify Guardsman Blue, remember it is a metallic color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.