Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '66 coup has the original engine in it as far as I can tell. All the dates and specifications match. Will the original engine and original colors (paint and enterior) make a diffrence in the value of the car? Also, is there a way to find out for positive whether the engine is the original or not?
Seth

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Unless you have a "K" code (or possibly even an "A"), the original engine won't matter to most people. To some it certainly will, and it's a bigger deal if the rest of the car is otherwise documented original. To most, it won't. Unless you're considering selling it in the fairly near future, it's not worth worrying about.

That said, I'm pretty much a stock guy myself and I like to see original parts wherever possible, but I am in the minority.

As for the originality of the engine, if all the dates are reasonable relative to your build date, it's very likely the original engine, but it'd be impossible to prove beyond a doubt. Again, on a "common" Mustang like the '66 coupe, it's really not worth worrying about in most cases.

Steve

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Generally, yes, the original components command a higher value than aftermarket, but, an original block and drivetrain won't matter if all the little things have been replaced with non original parts. What little things? Battery, alternator, ignition wires, air cleaner, exhaust system, tires, valve covers, etc.

Original components also are valued higher on special edition, rare, performance, or cars that have a history related to a famous person or event.

More important, IMO, is the overall condition of the car. A very clean, well running car with no damage or distasteful alterations is more valuable than a rusted out, dented up, Shelby that won't start.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Will the original engine and original colors (paint and interior) make a diffrence in the value of the car?

Depends on the buyer; if you mean using the original powerplant and restoring the car to original colors, I would say, generally, yes, when compared to departures from original. IME, the effect will be positive.

Also, is there a way to find out for positive whether the engine is the original or not?

As was mentioned, casting numbers (the resto gurus here can help you) can date everything to the period in which the car was built. IIRC, there were some engines which had the VIN stamped on a pad on the block near the oil filter but I can't recall which....OF disease...*G*

For lack of better advice, mine is to keep the car as near to stock mechanically and cosmetically as you can tolerate, changing only the things that you feel comfortable changing. IME, this is the most cost-effective approach, especially when resale is considered. If this is a hobby project and cost/return is no object, disregard *G*

Have fun!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been my experience no one really cares about an original car. Mine's as nice as an unrestored can get, better than most restorations. Couldn't sell it at a junkers price if I threw in a Cyclone Spoiler & my SVO! I say do what you want & worry about it later!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts