Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Original hood?

679 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  MidnightExpress
My 66 gt doesn’t have the FORD on the front of the hood so I figured it was an aftermarket hood. But just out of curiosity I pulled the chrome trim off the front and look underneath it. And this is what I found. Kind of hard to see but there are two little posts in the holes that would line up with the lettering. I only bought the car a couple weeks ago so I don’t know the entire history. What are your guy’s thoughts?
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Water Motor vehicle
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,477 Posts
It appears like the holes were covered with body filler. The post on the left side looks like maybe the barrel nut is still present and plugged with bondo.

Did you look for the factory date stamp?

· Registered
6,446 Posts
Yes all FORD panels have date code stamped on them.
On the 67/68 hood, stamping is on drivers' side flat area between the two oval areas, if that makes sense

· Registered
66 factory gt fastback, 3 speed cruise-o-matic
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s a 66. I’ve looked for a date stamp but I’m not exactly sure where to look, and it was probably painted over.

· Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
2,098 Posts
It’s a 66. I’ve looked for a date stamp but I’m not exactly sure where to look, and it was probably painted over.
Date stamp is on the back of the hood (the cowl/firewall side) it's on the bottom/underside edge in the middle. It is stamped from above so it will be backwards and hard to read. I'll run out to the garage and attempt to photograph one of mine after breakfast.

· Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
2,098 Posts
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

I can't really read any of them on the three cars, but all mine are repainted at least once. I do know they're stamped before the hood is skinned, so they're reversed.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I take that back, I can feel some bumps, and see them, but its impossible to tell what they say.
Yeah, I think paint removal is the best way to read them. I'm not willing to do that yet, at least on the two '66s. The hood on the '65 is damaged so it will be getting removed. But at least it appears you have an original Ford hood as I don't believe the repros have the date stamping. Is it the original? well, that requires more work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts