Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sold Hurst Mags- Purchased Shelby Cragers! WOW!!

Hey Guys.. Got a question. DOES anyone have a picture of a 65 or 66 mustang especially a fastback with a set of original Hurst mag's on it.. I have not been able to even find one picture on the internet.
I purchased some for my 66 hipo fastback.. but not sure I am going to use them.. I only have 3 one one is pretty rusty.. no centers or trim rings except one that I think is froze on...but they look so cool on the GTO's I want to see a set restored on a mustang... anyone have one picture??
I have factory disc brakes and they cleared them which I was happy about... let me know.. I may sell these also...not sure yet... please post pictures of you have one..
thanks!:)

[email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post a link to the picture of the wheels you are referring to, so I know exactly what you are looking for. I will try to photoshop them onto a Mustang.

ok.... do you need a tire and rim or just the rim itself? that would be greta if you could do that for me...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok.... do you need a tire and rim or just the rim itself? that would be greta if you could do that for me...
I have this picture but it is not very good.. you can google pictures if you put in Hurst wheels...

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you post a link to the picture of the wheels you are referring to, so I know exactly what you are looking for. I will try to photoshop them onto a Mustang.

Were you going to be able to work with the picture I sent or do you need a different one? lmk..thanks..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to know what the wheel looked like so I can search for the right kind of picture. If I were to search for pictures online, what would the proper name be for these wheels?
Great question, Google search HURST Wheels and click on images.. you will see lots of pictures of them... I really appreciate you doing this...thanks!

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The Hurst wheels were never "original" on any Mustang, except the 65 GT350, where they were a rare option.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Hurst wheels were never "original" on any Mustang, except the 65 GT350, where they were a rare option.

Ya, I did know that.. the mags in this picture you have posted are the Shelby Cragar's which are very similar to the Hurst mags.. but the shelby cragar's are 15 x 6 and made by crager, and the Hurst ones were made by George Hurst and had forged centers and are 14 x 6 and a different spoke than the crager.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I don't think the Hurst was an optional Shelby wheel, only the Cragars were.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
You are both quite right, in my haste I crossed "Hurst" with "Cragar", and yes, they were never offered, and are rarely seen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are both quite right, in my haste I crossed "Hurst" with "Cragar", and yes, they were never offered, and are rarely seen.
ya.. the Hurst wheels were a after market wheels for all cars..... they were not offered for the mustang from FORD. They are very rare to see on a mustang though, that is why I was interested on seeing one does with a nice set on one...

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Yeah, for anyone who wants to blow upwards of two thousand dollars on a set of wheels. The centers of the Hurst and Cragar are very similar, but the rims differ. IMHO, the Cragar was the better-looking of the two.

If I were building a 65 Shelby clone, I'd use the steel wheels. Most came with them, but nowadays rarely seen at shows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The optional wheels on the 65 GT350 were Cragars, still available today.

1965-66 Shelby GT350 Cragar Wheel
Yea.. They Shelby Cragar's are great! I may be putting those on instead... or do you think the Coker US Royal dual ban redlines with styled steel wheels look better? My car is a 66 K GT blue Fastback- driver though.. not restored, it is a 5 footer I call it...also.. and does the new Shelby Cragars have the white painted in the center with the blue??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea.. They Shelby Cragar's are great! I may be putting those on instead... or do you think the Coker US Royal dual ban redlines with styled steel wheels look better? My car is a 66 K GT blue Fastback- driver though.. not restored, it is a 5 footer I call it...also.. and does the new Shelby Cragars have the white painted in the center with the blue??

look at this pictures I found.. they look great! Original pictures from the 60's with Cragar's in color.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts