Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and asked a bunch of people with no luck so far so I'll leave it to you guys for an answer :)

I've confirmed that my car had original AC as it has the vent in the middle of the dash as well as the chrome vent on the passenger side (driver side is missing). The compressor is long gone but I really haven't taken a look up under the dash to see what's left of it. The car is in the shop for the next month too...

After looking into aftermarket AC for my car, I've come across a few options. One advertisement was for an original style in-dash unit. Along side this they were advertising original style under-dash units. Is that to say that both were available in 67? Perhaps under-dash in 67 was a dealer installed option while in-dash was factory installed? It doesn't make sense to have three vents in the dash if there is an under-dash unit with 4 registers.

It seems to me that if the rest of the heater setup is there, the in-dash AC stuff should be there (fingers crossed!). Maybe just a compressor, some hoses, and a charge will have it working??

Thanks,
Aaron

Houston, TX - 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

G

·
0 Posts
You should check out a service manual for details on the factory AC system. If you are sure that your ride originally had factory AC, you should be able to buy the missing components at swap meets + repro catalogs. You should make a list of items and then go shopping - here are some to add...
receiver / dryer
condensor
possibly a different pulley on the motor
belt
controls / register for the driver side + cables that go from this to the heater box/plenum.
That is all I can think of off the top of my head. If you are not concerned with originality it may be less hassle to buy an aftermarket kit. Im sure some of the parts you need are not reproduced and would command a high price at a swap meet.

Woodman

67 coupe - 302 4V, C4, Versailles 9"

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
The first thing I would do is contact Classic Auto Air in Tampa FL and ask for a Mustang catalog. 813-251-2356. Their catalogs have diagrams of to how it all goes together arranged by year. There is not much to assembling the A/c system but keep in mind if one part is substand, or id you make a bad connection it won't work properly. I'm not terribly familiar with the 67 but my 68 A/C and heater used a complicated system of vacuum switches that took so doing to get hooked up correctly.

Some a/c pieces (fiilter dryer for example) are better off not being reused.. It also depends on your final objective. If you are building a show car you would go in an all original direction whereas if you are just wanting to cool your daily driver, you would probalby want to go in a another.

Also it is wise to familiize yourself with the pros and cons of Freon versus R134a as coolants.

Good luck.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I believe that integral and under dahs systems were available in 67 and 68. Under dash units were dealer installed, while the integral unit was installed at the factory. By the way, a co-worker of mine has an integral system that he would be willing to sell (his son ripped it out of his 67 fastback) and he may just want to get rid of it. EMAIL me (info is in my profile).

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts