Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to get thier original license plates back? If you look at the plates on my car, you will see that it has the most current california plates. I want the old original blue CA plates. I have never had the original but I suppose I go do a owner research project.

Is there an easier way, like maybe get them re-made from DMV or reproduced somewhere so I can get them registered with DMV?

How would I even know what the old plate numbers were??

Let me know what you think.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Thanks to Goobener Davis, no. Two years in a row he has vetoed a bill that would allow us to put black plates back onto our cars. Both years the bill passed both houses with a unanimous vote, but the Goobener can't tell his ass from a hole in the ground and has vetoed it both times.

The worse news is we can either re-elect this "mentally challenged" direlict, or take our chances with the financially and morally challenged challenger. It could very well be time to give California to Mexico.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
First off, you'd have to find out the original plate from the DMV, which might be difficult if the plate was changed anytime before about 1985.

Second, CA (and all other states as far as I know) only allow current plate designs, manufactured and issued by the state, to be registered as current plates for your vehicle. You couldn't get someone else to make you one and register them.

Finally, no state (as far as I know) would allow you to register as a specialty plate any alphanumeric combination that could be created or could have been created in a normal sequential numbering of plate issue.

Unless there's something to your situation that makes it unique, it looks like you have three strikes against you on this one.

Steve

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Texas allows you to reregister plates for an additional fee. For example if your car is a 65 you can register a 65 plate regardless if it original to your car or not. I don't know if any other state allows you to do this or not. I believe that they have to have been issued by the state originally – no reproduction

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here in NY you can register your classic car under the YOM (year of manufacture) laws. You need to get plates that were correct for the year of your car and have historic insurance and you can use the old plates on any car over 25 years old. I believe many other states have YOM laws as well but I do not know if CA. is one of them.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I just bought black and yellow plates off that e-site and put them on my car - Two weeks, haven't been hassled yet.

G

·
0 Posts
I just bought black and yellow plates off that e-site and put them on my car - Two weeks, haven't been hassled yet.

Were you able to register them with CA DMV?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
L20068! You got some cajones my man! I keep eyeing the black and yellow plates in the trunk of my 69 and wondering what would happen if I just put them on the car, but I'm sure that the CHP would notice the lack of proper stickers. Maybe we could tell them the plates were on the car for a show and we forgot to take them off?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
BlueMach1. Sounds like you are in sunny California. You can't search the records for historical information about your car and it's original number because DMV has destroyed them. If you want black and yellow plates back on your car it's on you to prove that they were the originals by producing an original registration document that has your VIN and the plate number on it. If you don't have the original registration (who does?) then you need to find a competent forger. If you find one, please let me know too since I'm sitting with a beautiful set of black and yellow plates with the 69 registration sticker still on them.

DO NOT VOTE FOR GRAY DAVIS IN THE FALL. He has vetoed the bill to allow us to reregister our cars built from 63-69 with original style black and yellow plates TWICE. That's not the least of his sins, but it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My friends, I feel your pain about the black and yellows but I need BLUE and YELLOW for the 1970. Does this make any difference or am I still totally screwed? I know how to find two of the past owners maybe I can do this the old fashion way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
justasix is correct, for ny
why not register your car in the empire state?
the plates are available,
by the way i miight have some.
i'll swap for some cal, plates
mac

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
What year is the car? What year plates do you have and want to install? Is the car in CA? I have been there and done that on a '65, and have some inside info on how to do it. PM me if I can help. Good Luck,.

G

·
0 Posts
You're absolutely right about Davis! There are plenty of reasons NOT to vote for him in November, this just adds one more to the pile.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
FWIW, I worked part time at DMV while I was going to school in the early 1970's. At that time, if you had two cars, one with a regular series plate and one with a personalized (vanity) plate, you could swap plates for a modest fee and keep both sets of plates. If that is still possible (don't know for sure) order a set of personal plates for your Mustang and get them assigned to your Mustang. Next, buy an old car with the Blue/Yellow plates and then get them swapped at DMV. I know, kind of goofy, but who knows, it might work. You've got to decide if the Blue/Yellow plates are worth the trouble of this end run. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts