Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cleaning up the engine bay of our one owner 66 coupe for the first time since it was new, and found a couple details I thought the concours folks might be interested in. The car is an October 2, 1965 build date San Jose C-code coupe that was purchased new by my mother in law on October 13th in San Francisco (Geary Ford). Other than a MAACO spray in the 70's and an early 80's engine rebuild, most of the rest of the car is original.

The car was originally M code paint, and here is a large "M" marking on the driver's side radiator support. It looks like the marking was yellow at one time.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oNMZ1P3A5nM/SaMkRvnleEI/AAAAAAAAACs/PeO8EBxEtpA/s320/2009+02+23_3161.JPG

On the driver's side frame rail just ahead of the front tire is this mark. Not sure what "311 U" means...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oNMZ1P3A5nM/SaMm221aOMI/AAAAAAAAAC0/qNhk2zInxFg/s320/2009+02+23_3193.JPG

If anybody wants me to look at or photograph another area before it get's repainted, just let me know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anybody know what the "311 U" on the frame rail means?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
f18shack said:
Does anybody know what the "311 U" on the frame rail means?

Likely the worker meant to write 311-11. On a 64-66 San Jose car they identified the hooks where the that fender for the car could be found.
Of course the guys could write sloppy from time to time as they were rushing to get the cars done but if you look at a few thousand there is indeed a pattern

Thanks for posting the pictures

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really enjoyed the pics of your car, Jack.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Oz68 said:
My car is a May 66 SJ car with markings:

"D" marking on inner right fender
Wow allot bigger and that worker looks like they retraced it for some reason.Very different from most of the others I've got pictures of - Thanks for sharing

Oz68 said:
Similar numbers were found on the bottom of the back of the front seat. You see it when you move the upright of the seat forward (when you get in and out of the back). It is right on the bottom of that portion.
That is an odd location (thinking your car got build when a fill in person was doing some of these ;) for the rotation number. The location on the passenger seat of a San Jose is typical.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
gwood said:
Does anyone have a photo of the marking on the seat bottom and a photo of the inner fender mark?
Which marking on the seat bottom?

Which inner fender mark are you interested? There is the possibility of maybe four different ones depending on when the car was built and who was working

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
gwood said:
Sorry about that, a Nov build 65 Fastback C Code from SJ.
First please make sure everything else on the car is 100% before you worry about marks and such. You will not loose a single point for not having them. Other items on the car done incorrectly will be a bigger error than missing marks ;) ALso wrong marks only muddy the waters further - already enough badly marked up cars out there for people to copy

So on the inner fender panels you would not find any thing related to the engine size. San Jose workers only carried (for this purpose) if it was out of the ordinary - like a K code or 6 cyl)

I would expect a yellow "D" on the battery box or on the front lower cross member ( a couple of cars have been seen with a small one - similar size to the cross member one - on the radiator support, passenger side towards the outer edge

On each frame rail we would expect to find the fender hook number, normally marked again in yellow. In a pattern such as 321-42 or 42-321. Numbers ranged from 1-4 only

Every so often a number will be found on the seat riser - no pattern or explanation at this point.

The rotation number can be found on the rear seat, bottom cushion, passenger side. Have found a couple of cars where one of the front buckets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jeff:

Thanks. I have a H D2 on the driver side rad support and also the markings on both frame rails. i will have to investigate the front and rear seats as this is the first I have heard of the rotation number being located there.

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Markings on rad support and frame rails

Here's mine a '66 Feb. SJ Coupe 6 cyl sprint
Oddly enough i noticed in the pic that has the red primer, (inside frame rail left side by fuel and brake line bracket) its stenciled "1st COAT" i never saw that anywhere before.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Now im no handwriting expert but it sure looks like the same guy wrote the numbers on my car and the one that jtfx6552 has what do you think?

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe
24 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one, I thought I'd keep all these pics together if someone was searching frame markings (also I didn't find any other threads on this topic). Below is what I uncovered tonight on my October 28 1964 built 1965 San Jose Mustang Coupe:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 18 of 18 Posts