Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I saw these cars and talked to the Venice crew a couple years ago at Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas. Very nice cars in person and great guys. I personally was a little put off by the use of original K code cars, especially since they were using a 331 engine. These cars are not and will never be an original Shelby and are really nothing more than a clone/tribute car executed by some original Shelby employees, so why waste a K code for a clone?

They quoted a price of $250,000+ to buy one

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
That one sounded good, wonder what mufflers they are using?

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
They quoted a price of $250,000+ to buy one
I was wondering the price the whole time I was watching the video. I figured somewhere north of $150,000..
If I was paying $250,000 for one I would demand that the left headlight door line up with the fender a whole helluva lot better than the one in the video. I can't believe they're using that car as their promotional piece with that sloppy headlight door-to-fender fitment. And the camera even zoomed in on it a couple of times.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I was wondering the price the whole time I was watching the video. I figured somewhere north of $150,000..
If I was paying $250,000 for one I would demand that the left headlight door line up with the fender a whole helluva lot better than the one in the video. I can't believe they're using that car as their promotional piece with that sloppy headlight door-to-fender fitment. And the camera even zoomed in on it a couple of times.
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. A quarter of million needs to be spot on...

Allen

·
Super Moderator
8,715 Posts
I’m not disagreeing with either of you, but you have to consider what they are selling and what you are buying. You are getting a real K-Code. You are getting an official licensed Ford and Shelby product. They’re selling it at a 1/4 of what the originals are current selling for. What you aren’t getting is the provenance of the real deal. I personally think they should have stayed more true to the original in several areas. I know if at least two companies race prepping vintage legal 289’s making more power than their 331 offering. I would have preferred the traditional 9” live axle with the correct drum brakes. If I were (could) buying one, I would demand those changes at a minimum...along with the obvious flaws you pointed out corrected. I personally don’t like the front valance either, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I’m not disagreeing with either of you, but you have to consider what they are selling and what you are buying. You are getting a real K-Code. You are getting an official licensed Ford and Shelby product. They’re selling it at a 1/4 of what the originals are current selling for. What you aren’t getting is the provenance of the real deal. I personally think they should have stayed more true to the original in several areas. I know if at least two companies race prepping vintage legal 289’s making more power than their 331 offering. I would have preferred the traditional 9” live axle with the correct drum brakes. If I were (could) buying one, I would demand those changes at a minimum...along with the obvious flaws you pointed out corrected. I personally don’t like the front valance either, but that’s just me.
I bet if you were paying the 250k, that headlight bezel would be spot on also, my opinion.

Allen

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Very nicely done Mustang ! Seemed strange to me that they used `66 side scoops, quarter windows & side stripes when this is supposed to be AS CLOSE to a `65 model as possible. For 1/4 Million I would demand `65 features ! Dean

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
As I recall Peter Brock was designing the front valance/bumper but it didn't make it. I saw them for sale a year or so ago but it's a little steep in price at $750. The IRS didn't improve the car's lap times enough to justify it's cost.

·
Dimples
3,498 Posts
I personally don't care if it's a gimmick. I think it's cool that it's an original design for the IRS and you can be sure that part of the reason they didn't use it back in the day was as a cost cutting measure. For a quarter mil, I'll take the gimmicky and unique IRS. It would be stupid-easy to throw a solid axle 9" at it if you wanted to, but I sure wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts