Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Blake ,
I see what you are saying. "History" says 562 '65s and 2,378 '66s ( of which mine is #477). A couple of passionate fabricators can NOT change those numbers. These are not "factory built"' ( as the originals were) IMHO 'only" a better option would be to start with a NEW Dynacorn body and have a structurally sound , NEW car like an original "was". If Ford and Shelby are allowing them to vin them, the "core" doesn't need to be a K code original. Just this old guys worthless opinion. Buying one is certainly anyone's option.
Randy
I agree that it doesn't seem like the core needs to be an original K code car.
With brand new perfect bodies out there I think it's a shame they are using real K codes for the following reasons.
  • They make it sound like, "All the cars we use drive into our shop", they start with decent cars.
  • That's another K code(non-Shelby) lost, just like the Eleanor craze taking away from the limited number of fastbacks out there.
  • How many of you out there with nice, real K code fastback, that you like would sell? Would sell it to be made into one of these? Would NOT sell it to be made into one of these unless they gave you enough to be able to go out and buy another K Fastback + some?
  • Not many of us could afford real Shelbys now or even for the last 25+ years, that's fine.
  • There are a few more of us that might have been or are able to afford a K code fastback and now 36 more of those are going to be gone so someone can have what for the most part will be a static display in their garage or man cave.
For $250K I would what the body to have started with a pretty perfect body.
Are the 289s they start with real K code blocks?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
No argument there DrHawkeye. My point is if "I" were spending 250 large , I would buy ( seriuosly) an original for 50 less as the originals are a "sure thing" . Oh wait , I already did that 45 years ago and it has increased over my purchase price 200 times. And in it's racing career it made back 45 times the original purchase price. I can't believe I was that smart 45 years ago. Reality is I wasn't or I wouldn't have sold my other original '66 GT350 later about a year before the prices started rising radically. I only made 6 times the purchase price on that one. I am just funning you ( not at ALL trying to be rude or boastful) as original GT350s were under 3,000 back then. Of the 17 originals I have owned over the years the one I have still has been the most enjoyable.
Randy
Don't feel bad Randy, my best friend's family had 2 cars and 2 kids in 1965, a 55 T'bird and a 63 289 Cobra. They sold the Cobra for $3,500 and a tidy $500 profit. I do not feel too bad for them, they still have a 65 GT350 with racing history (not an R model) and a 66 GT350 street car. (we used to take that to high school... :) )

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
No argument there DrHawkeye. My point is if "I" were spending 250 large , I would buy ( seriuosly) an original for 50 less as the originals are a "sure thing" . Oh wait , I already did that 45 years ago and it has increased over my purchase price 200 times. And in it's racing career it made back 45 times the original purchase price. I can't believe I was that smart 45 years ago. Reality is I wasn't or I wouldn't have sold my other original '66 GT350 later about a year before the prices started rising radically. I only made 6 times the purchase price on that one. I am just funning you ( not at ALL trying to be rude or boastful) as original GT350s were under 3,000 back then. Of the 17 originals I have owned over the years the one I have still has been the most enjoyable.
Randy
You've been a lucky dude to get an original one at a great price. I'm not lucky enough to do that, or to be able to afford one, of either variety, now. Someone is buying them, so good for the seller and the buyer. I get that some might choose to spend on the original version, and some for the slightly updated version, and I would probably lean to the original as well.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You've been a lucky dude to get an original one at a great price. I'm not lucky enough to do that, or to be able to afford one, of either variety, now. Someone is buying them, so good for the seller and the buyer. I get that some might choose to spend on the original version, and some for the slightly updated version, and I would probably lean to the original as well.
In 72 when I bought my first Shelby ,( I've had 17 over the last 47 years) they were only six years old and not as popular as a Hemi or other big block muscle car so $2,000 was an average price. Our local LA Times had at least four for sale every week. Sometimes eight to ten! 289 and 427 Cobras were listed too! I will admit my first two were "parent financed" ( the good old bank of mom and dad LOL) .
Randy

·
Dimples
3,498 Posts
In 72 when I bought my first Shelby ,( I've had 17 over the last 47 years) they were only six years old and not as popular as a Hemi or other big block muscle car so $2,000 was an average price. Our local LA Times had at least four for sale every week. Sometimes eight to ten! 289 and 427 Cobras were listed too! I will admit my first two were "parent financed" ( the good old bank of mom and dad LOL) .
Randy
I'm glad somebody took advantage of such a situation. By the time I was driving (1991), my T code 65 coupe was over $3K and GT350's were fairly unobtanium. At least for a dumb kid.

·
Super Moderator
8,715 Posts
“parent financed" ( the good old bank of mom and dad LOL) .
Randy
I tried that bank in 1990 when I found a running driving ‘65 GT350 down the street from my grandparents house for $12.5K. 100% original other than a new K-Code engine. The original engine came with the purchase but needed rebuilding.

I was declined financing as a stupid 20 year old...which was odd because they financed my ‘65 Fastback four years earlier for $5K.

I forgot to add a older friend of mine at the time purchased the car and sold it 90 days later for $36K to a collector in FL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, but what happened to the episode that Jay Leno had of his original GT-350. It was on youtube and other sites a few years ago. Now its gone!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Randy
When I was 15 and my dad and I were doing our father/son 65 mustang project as my first car, these cars were still affordable. In fact we were at a place in Ohio called Central Ohio Mustang Parts and they had an original 427 cobra in their show room disassembled and they offered it to us for $4500.. I remind my dad of that every chance I get, along with the ugly baby blue 67 L-88 corvette convertible with air he passed on because someone had grafted flares on the rear quarters. I'm pretty sure that that same vette in its original marlboro maroon color sold at BJ for over 3 million.

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
Around 1975 I was offered a '69 Shelby GT500 for $2500. My '69 Mach 1 was worth about $1500. By the time I found a buyer for my M1 the GT500 had been sold.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts