Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they are similar in price but what differs? do either have the wiring end connector attached or do you have to splice the wires to the existing connector? the picture shows one that doesn't have a connector but that may be for an earlier one. anyone purchased one or knows anything about the switchs i would appreciate their feedback. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Got mine from John @ Rocky Mtn Classic Mustang, came w/connecter. Good quality works fine! About removing the connector - When you unplug old connector,
1 Hook a good strong thin and flexible wire to the conector
2 Pull the switch up through strg col, wire comes with it,
3 Hook wire to new connector
4 Slowly feed connector through col with conector attached pull on wire.
5 Should feed right through, It did on 70 Mach I dont know if it will on yours. You may have to loosen col a little.
A mechanic told me about this and it sure is easier than removing connector.
Good luck
Jan Bauer
70 Mach 1

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't know about the '70 switch BUT out of curiosity I purchased all 3 versions for 65-66 to determine quality.

"imported" was terrible, cheaply made - very poor terminal end & wire quality. Plus plastic switch plate was very brittle looking.

"OEM repro" was much better overall, probaly would work well but how long ?? Changing out these switches is a PITA

Ford "original" is a Ford "service replacement" part. Better quality still BUT comparing to the orginal still lacking somewhat. I ended up using this one only because I assume it's overall better quality will last longer.

If it was me I would purchase the Ford original especially since the price is so close.

Midlife is correct on the "connector". If the '70 is like the 65-66 you have to carefully remove the existing wires & terminal ends from the connector, remove the wiring from column, snake the new down the column and insert the new wires back into their correct holes in the connector.
I took a couple of close-up dig-pics and my 7 year-old made a great drawing of the connector and correctly colored wire placement (nothing like having 50 colored pencils) so I could re-install correctly the first time.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The 70 MUST have more room in the col because I just replaced mine last week and if I had to remove the connecter I would still not be done! Had to loose a cover under col a little bit and it threaded right through.
Good Luck!
Jan Bauer
70 Mach 1

G

·
0 Posts
I just changed mine on my 67 tilt column last week. I bought the FORD part from Mustangs Unlimited. Seems to be a good part. All the wires were the same color so it was no problem matching them back up. I cut off the plug leaving a 10 inch pigtail on it. The I pulled out the old unit. TOUGH! But it finally came out. Finally fihsed in the new wires and installed the switch. That part was pretty easy. Then I striped the ends of all the wires and matched them up by color. Then I soldered them and shrinkwrapped them so they would never come apart. The kit comes with little crimp connectors. But since the spot this is all located once in the car, I soldered them. I was lucky, my column isnt in the car yet so it is easier to change. Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
No I don't think so. At least the one's from NPD for 65-66 did not have the connector. Used the original one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts