Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to reassemble my 66 vent windows, and I'm not having any luck with the rivets. I've tried just about every way to install them I can think of, short of actually using the proper tool.

So, before I spend $100 on something I might use once, does anybody in the Orlando area have a rivet squeezer? I'm in east Orlando, near Waterford Lakes, and I drive to Cape Canaveral every day for work, so if you're within maybe 30 miles of one of those places, I'd appreciate it. I need to install eight 3/32 and six 1/8 semi-tubular rivets. Won't take long, but I'm willing to stick around and talk about cars for as long as you like. :)

--Tom

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Or maybe some VMF'er outside the area could send if you would cover the cost of sending and return. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You mean your pop rivet gun won't reach to the rivet in order for you to properly set it, correct?
1) grind the sides of the pop rivet gun so it fits down into the channel
or
2) put a stack of washers betewwn the rivet gun tip and the head of the rivet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roddster, they're tubular rivets, not pop rivets. I need a squeezer. Good tips for pop rivets, though!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Solid rivets can easily be "bucked" using a bucking bar and hammer. Bucking bar is any heavy piece of steel, you can use what is called a drill start to form an indentation in the steel to accept the formed head of the rivet then use a hammer to form the non-formed head. Practice first. Rivet is completely bucked when you have formed the non-formed head to a nice mushroom shape 1.5 times the height of the formed head

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Try your local airport. There is a RACO tool used to set tubular rivets on small aircraft brakes. That worked well for my vent windows. I chose to replace the bottom two rivets at the bottom of the divider bar with flat head screws. You just need to use a countersink on the bar. No reason those have to be rivets. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
That is correct, and is traditional method for assembling aluminum aircraft. I dont know that I would want to take a rivet gun to a window though unless they were soft rivets.

The rivet squeezer is a great idea but the tools are expensive. I used to have a pneumatic and hand squeezer but when I left the trade, I sold off some of those tools.

If you have a good strong bench vise, you can get a similar affect. You may want to get a piece of wood or something and take a rotary file to match the shape of the rivet head. This will help preserve the manufactured head side of the work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts