Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my Pony Rustling has become well known at my children's school ::

Today was the first day back to school for my kids, and as always, I make sure i'm there to walk them to class, so I can embarrass the holy crud out of them! :eek: Well, today was no different, and as I am waiting for my son's classroom to open up, one of the other mom's comes up to me and asked if I still buy old cars. The last time I saw her, she was married to someone else, and I was slaving away for the newspaper that I once worked for.

She has since married this other guy, and I guess his son moved out a while back and borrowed $1500. This was almost a year a go. He had promised to pay it back, but hasn't been able to come up with the money, so he gave them the pink to his Firebird with permission to sell if he doesn't pay it back by a certain time. Well time has come and gone, and they are through waiting, and no longer want this thing taking up space in their garage.

She told me it's a 69 Firebird that has a full race engine in it. She said it ran when they parked it in the garage, but they haven't been able to get it started since. I will be getting more details on the car tomorrow, and will be setting up a time to go see it. She said I could have it for what the son owes them, $1500.00

So if we have any Firebird fans out there, if it doesn't take much to get this thing running, and it's in decent shape, what's it worth?

Looks like I'm about to rustle me a fire breathin bird! ;)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
go take a look at it and bring the money. even if its a pontiac/gm it's still worth more than that. heck any 1st gen firebird/camaro is worth that as a rustbucket and it sounds like this one at least has some promise to it. if nothing else you could part it out or resell it for MUCH more than that. these kind of oppurtunities don't come along much so jump on it. ps- i'm going to try to make it into the ranch tomorrow to bug you or mark about a cougar lens from all those parts cars you got.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I had a 69 Firebird 400 for 19 years; just about the best car I ever owned. Great motor, the best steering box on the planet, and good handling.
Take it!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Get it!!!

If you don't...let me know...

Slade

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
What, you need to ask?
::

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If the body is in good shape it should be worth $1500. The full race engine makes we wonder though. I bet it hasn't been treated very well.

I restored a 69 Firebird Conv about 6 years ago. When I removed the left rear axle shaft I found that the outer wheel bearing wasn't even attached to axle. It supposed to be pressed on like the Mustangs. The axle shaft was so worn that its diameter was reduced by a 1/2 inch. I bet somebody liked spinning the tires.

I have sources for used parts if you need them.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a 70 Bird for a couple of years...wish I never sold it!

Post pics when you get it! ::

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hi Doug,

As already mentioned, if the body wasn't twisted in a bad wreck or rotted out, Buy it! I had a '69 F-bird with the factory 4 bbl and 350 engine all stock! Oh yeah, it was a 4spd convertible. It was an excellent car and had tons of torque.

If you need a Pon-Ton guy for back up, let me know. I still have some Pontiac left in me.

Regards,

Dean T

(It should have a Pontiac engine but sometimes folks swap in a Chevy engine - may not be a detraction since with a Chev it would still make a great daily driver).

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. Be sure to sniff around for any "spare parts" that might be stashed in dark corners of that garage. IMHO, the 1st-gen Firebird is a bit more appealing than the Camaro, if only because you see far fewer of the Pontiacs.

Be sure to post an update; I'm curious about what you'll actually find under that hood.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just sold my 67 400 convertible. It had a 455 (+), 4 speed, 3:55 posi. Personally I think the 69 was a better body style than the 67/8s. Less common than Camaros, and easy to work on. Down side is bird parts cost more than parts for mustangs.
Go to "www.firstgenfirebirds.com" You'll find lots of answers there.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Doug, DON'T DO IT!!!

Give me her phone # and address and I'll let her down easy for you ;) :: ::

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I used to have a '69 vert with a 400 and a 4 speed. It was a pretty fun car. I wish I still had it. They aren't worth what Camaros are worth, even though the cars are very similiar. You can buy ugly runners for around $3-4k. You probably can't go wrong for $1500, unless it's really rusty.

·
Registered
858 Posts
my ex-teacher has a 69 firebird w\a 400 in it...was a vinyl...but he put a new hardtop on it...no more vinyl...damn it was nice...i shoulda bought it when he was selling it...now he changed his mind :p he ALSO has a austin healy....1 of the 1s from the 50s...not the sprites tho, i 4get

1 - 19 of 19 Posts