Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at buying a 68 Cougar but the air conditioning seems to be the first thing to go. (Either because it breaks or it gets pulled off in a rebuild). Does anyone have any idea on range of costs to repair or replace the system? The Mustang kits are about $1000 but I'm figuring that's the high side. How much less would you offer on the purchase price if the air doesn't work? (I'm in TX so its necessary /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Call Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL or Vintage Air and get estimates for your car. The cheapest aftermarket is going to be about $900 complete and it goes up from there.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If the A/c doesn/t work seeler is probably not asking for it in his price.
It is usually very much cheaper to replace the exixting parts on a factory system than to get a unit from one of the A/C places. They sell complete systems with a lot of parts..pullys, brackets, ect... that you won't need.
I'm in Houston and can advise you of some reasonable places to get the parts you need or walk you thru the replacement up to taking it to shop to have system charged after you get parts installed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll follow-up with Classic and make sure that the car is intact to reduce repair costs. Ambush, I'll take you up on your offer of advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts