Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved the style of Jags, just ran across a 1990 12 Cyl Jaguar for sale. Doesn't run and while I'm waiting for email from the owner with more info, just wondering if anyone else has one of these? I've heard they can be a real PITA to work on, but dang they're nice looking cars.

Asking price, btw, $4,500.

G

·
0 Posts
All Brit cars have that reputation, but they're no worse, or better than any other car.
Main thing, imo, you want to look at is parts, where and how to get em. There's a couple
really good places in the UK that I order from for the 7s, and depending on the exchange
rate way cheaper than buying here.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Part of the problems with expensive European vehicles is the cost to rebuild an engine. For instance, a stock rebuild engine for a Porsche 928 is somewhere around $10k. What many Jag owners do is to convert the engine to something domestic. I've seen Jags with Chevy 350s. The 350 is cheap, reliable, and readily available. There are a few companies out there specializing in Jag/Chevy conversion kits.
OR, buy the Jag, and convert the independent rear suspension over to your Mustang. Then part out the Jag...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have a couple of earlier XJs. Compared to Mustangs the parts are 4-10 times more expensive. I've no experience with the 12s; they do have a reputation for being finicky, and from my experience with a 12 cyl BMW crossed with my Jag experience, the more the cylinders, the more the maintenance. A 12 cylinder engine has twice as many parts that can fail as a 6.

Just for illustration (forgive me, it's been a while since I took statistics) If you have a mechanical object made up of 6 pieces, and each piece is 98% reliable; the object will be 88.6% reliable. A 12 part of similar design and reliability of individual pieces will be 78.5% reliable.

12 cyls are cool. They give you MUCH MORE umph. Older Jags have electronic controls designed by Lucas. There is a particular historical significance to the saying- Lucas: God of Darkness- in more than just the surface level of definition. Anyone with an older jag that has never had to modify it, or install an alternative, preferable part, probably doesn't drive the silly thing. Newer Jags are supposed to be significantly better, thanks to changes in the interference of the British legislative bodies and Ford, but I don't know where I'd say the change occured. I would say this: "Are you truely ready for a 12 cyl car, a 12 cyl Jag?" On the up side, it can't be as screwed up as the 12 cyl Bimmer.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
I've been trying to find an outside right side rear door handle for an `89 for less than $350.00 for over 2 years now .

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hehe, funny that you bring it up.
At the Bosch Service station/garage in my town, that Im using to get some electric things fixed on my Stang, they once had a 12 cyl Jaguar in for repair. It was a 1990 coupe (sorry, dont know the exact model name-probably a XJ?), and I dont really know what was wrong with it.

But almost every time that Ive been back to the service station (not always Stang related /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ), it was there, getting fixed.
I was there recently, and guess what familiar car Ive spotted yet again? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Its quite funny to see it sit there all the time.
Now Im not saying they are bad cars, actually I cant say anything about that, but it seems like they arent too reliable?! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I was talking to one of the mechanics that I know, and was asking and making a comment about the Jag.
He replied jokingly, "yeah, its in as often as your Stang".
I replied "I dont really think so." and added "Keep in mind that my Stang is 36 years old, while the Jag is only 12..."! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I guess a newer car should be a little more reliable, even more given the fact that the Jag was/is several times more expensive than the Stang. Also, the Jag is considered a luxuary car...! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used to be Jag mechanic during my summers and holidays during college. I worked mostly on the 6cyl, but I got to work on a V12 maybe once a month. I agree with every thing that has been said above. I think that the V12 came from the factory with oil leaks. I know the front seal liked to leak as well as the cam towers. I have also heard rumor that they have a tendency to twist the distributor shaft in half. Never saw it happen though. On the other hand they are really neat engines. There area couple of good web sites on the V12's if you search for them. My boss once bought a wrecked Jag XJS HE (that's the V12 High Energy) very cheap. That is the only XJS I every drove that would catch second. If you didn't know, the trans behind them is TH400.
Electrical problems can be just plain hell. The quality of workmanship just wasn't there. Ford found that out quickly and corrected it when it bought the company. Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.

Louis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts