Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching American Hot Rod the other night and heard about some bad blood between Foose and Coddington. Anyone know the story there? I know both Foose and Jesse James worked for Coddington which surprised me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It was something that Boyd said in a filming. Not sure if it made it past the editing floor but it was slanderous. He's poised to take him out if it airs. "From Chips mouth"

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I was refering to earlier back around 1999 when Foose worked for Boyd. I think it was Charlie (who I've heard has since switched to the Foose team) who mentioned the bad blood between the two. Boyd just seems like a complete jerk to me and his cars dont really impress me all that much. They seem to be sloppy and rushed together,

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I really am not impessed either with the work of Coddington(actually it's his guys that do all the work)and i know that I wouldn't put up with his arrogance but one time,,Has anyone ever seen him really enjoying himself,,,really laughing,,hamming it up with the guys??I think for fun he just sits and watches the cars rust.Seems like a very depressing guy to work for.Even on the chopper show,,,at least old man Tuttle gets silly on camera once in awhile.I think Coddington needs to clean up his act,,and his mega-buck television show.Getting pretty boring.Just my .02 worth,,

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I agree they are getting pretty boring. I'm a full out car fanatic though, and if I have a choice for something to watch, a car show will win out hands down every time. It just seemed that Charlie hinted at some big fall out between the two. Ive been looking all night (severe insomnia tonite) and havent found much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
THe point is there though that Boyd always seems to be rushing, and calling in favors from his crew ... "gotta ahve it!!" and they work all night and through the weekends. Between Boyd and his Ex- , its a [email protected] place to work

I'd work with Paul Sr. & Jr in a second...and I've never been on a bike.

Some bosses get it and some don't

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Yes, it's about personality differences AND knowing how to do things. Remember Boyd's "installation" :horror: of the steering column??(total f*** *p!) Charlie laughed, :lol: as I recall.(One is a hands on person while other is a hand *** person! :rolleyes:) Foose is an extremely talented person. Has that rare talent to put his thoughts on paper with artistic ability, yet can do paint, body and the whole thing. One of his creations with much hands on participation was the 35 Chev that won the coveted Riddler Award a couple years back ::. Guess one could say he puts his money where his mouth is. While is may be a bit much sometimes, the Overhaulin' show is great! So is Courtney! And, as for American Hot Rodding's Dwayne :puke:
Would be afraid to buy any Boyd wheels! While some are sharp, his deamenor says tough sh*t if you have a problem with one!

·
Registered
20,921 Posts
While not answering your question directly, I have to agree with the others. I think Foose is just light year ahead of Boyd in the talent department. Coddington is a type "A" personallity and Chip is a "B".I think just watching the two shows you can see just how different they are and that's the root of it. What happened is between them is between them.

I think Foose is the type of guy that if he had finacial problems and not being able to meet payrole, his guys would probably still work for him, no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Maybe,,just maybe someone from Coddingtons roost is reading this post,,,or the message will get to him.You know,,when we post on here it is worldwide available,,Bottom line is that his show is worn out,,,they have run the bag off it,,I really got a kick out of the show where he had to get that Fastback painted(yellow),,and "convieniently" had guys in there erecting a new paint booth,,and then had the arrogance to dead-line the booth that they were going to use to paint the car in.I especially took interest in the electrical"problem" of having to use wiring that fed the one booth had to be disconnected to get the new one in operation.You would think that with all his pull, he would have an army of electricians ready to run a new service to that new booth without ever messing with the old one.Bottom line is the show is seriously flawed,,and so is his brain.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I realize that these shows are "made for TV" but the sophomoric drama gets old fast. Everything is on a deadline that is "impossible" to meet yet they always meet it. First there was that goofball Bluebear and he hires another goofball; then he fires a couple more people, fails to replace them and then expects the remaining staff to double up. If Coddington actually runs his rod building business the way he portrays himself on the show, I have serious doubts that he will stay in business much longer. After all, getting it right is secondary to getting it done right now. For the kind of $$$ he charges I'd be a skeptical customer.
I wonder what the state labor commissioner would have to say about overtime pay on these shows?

K

·
0 Posts
I believe Coddington has gone belly up before and left his creditors with only his bankruptcy. Then he starts anew with his name intact.
I don't like his show, his cars, his lack of supervisory skills, his old wife, his new wife's dog and I definatley cannot stand watching his beard change colors. :horror: :rofl: :rofl:
I think him and Chuck Norris must go to the same barber or painter. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I believe Coddington has gone belly up before and left his creditors with only his bankruptcy. Then he starts anew with his name intact.
I don't like his show, his cars, his lack of supervisory skills, his old wife, his new wife's dog and I definatley cannot stand watching his beard change colors. :horror: :rofl: :rofl:
I think him and Chuck Norris must go to the same barber or painter. :biggrin:
Man! Is that rough or what?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think too many people take this show too seriously. It's only reality TV with cars. Hell, I've worked for bosses that made Boyd seem like a saint (of course I didn't work there very long). Sometimes you just need to be that way to get work done. How many workers work there that are prima-donnas anyway? It's just the nature of the business. Lots of cockiness on everybody's part. There are always cars in the background being worked on that they never show. I guess there are no drama-queens working on them.

I've said it before here and I'll say it again; just sit back, relax, and watch a funny show that deals with something we all enjoy - cars! It beats most other things on the boob-tube.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The shows are about the drama. I want to see a show about the work, tools, hardware, ect…
But I agree its still better then most stuff on TV.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
know of a guy who had some boyd rims on his custom truck . i heard from my good friend the rims cracked.

what a waste of some SERIOUS MONEY !.

the quality of the rim was only a reflection of his managerial skills within the shop .

chip foose is a man of TOP NOTCH talent, how can you not respect someone like chip who is in there all night, every night- to make things right.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would agree Chip is a full package man (design, build, and finish) but was it honestly just the way Coddington was that made his President quit? I know Chip worked for Boyd for a good amount of years and was a higher up in the company.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Foose= :biggrin:

Coddington= :chainsaw:

Unwarranted arrogance.....rushed projects= not a good mix.
I can't stand the guy and that shaved headed supervisor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts