Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...honestly i cant make up my mind at all for cars!!! lol...so what do u think of this...a 98-00 crown vic police interceptor for a sleeper ;) no one expects these really, they think old people drive them...and if i have 1...they may think its an unmarked cop car lol...so gimme ur thoughts...id like to put a nice exhaust on it if possible, but i hear they have like 6 cats or something ::

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am all for sleeper cars. My first car was a (non-Ford) sleeper - a 1976 Plymouth GranFury ex-cop car. It had a 440 ci with duels exhaust, torqueflite trans, 850 carb, shift kit and a dana rearend - 323 gear. The car would do everybit of 150 mph on its certified odometer. I could beat about anything around at the time, 5.0's, IROC Camaro's, Firebirds, etc. It was fun and noone know what was coming (or going past).

I think the Crown Vic is a good car - especially the ex-cop cars, since they have the HD suspension, radiator, etc. You could buy a create motor, beef up the trans and buy a 100 - 150 hp nitrous system and have one hell of a car.

In my opinion - GO FOR IT!! :) :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly that what im thinking...the prices arent so bad....around 7-11k for a crown vic...around 9-10k for the PI's w\some decent mileage, i keep finding the ex-cop cars at around 30-70k miles on the odometer...so thats not all that bad to me....i can afford it too, id just have to sell my 5.0 is all lol, i think i could sell it well, its got some hefty mods! :)

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
That's the approach I took with the SWMBO's car. It's a '00 Grand Marquis LS. I picked it up wholesale with 37,000 miles. Car is black w/beige leather, fully loaded with all the toys. Has duals, 3.42 axle, traction control. Actually moves along pretty well. IIRC the 4.6 is rated at around 230 horses, not quite as much as the old Impala SS, but with some induction work and a Borla exhaust (a little pricey at $900), should be "competitive". Best thing of all, it was 1/3 the price of a new one! My buds call it the "poor mans Marauder"

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
I can't see what wouuld be so impossible about putting a 4.6 DOHC in there, possibly with a supercharger on it out of a late Cobra. Get some buckets out of a new wrecked Maurauder, and there you go.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've had my '00 CV for about a year now. I commute 60mi round trip from south San Jose to Menlo Park. It used to take me at least 1-2hrs to get home. My CV runs on natural gas and gets me in the commuter lane. My commute rarely drops below 65mph... I'm usually pushed to 70-80mph.

As for performance parts, pretty much any that will fit a Mustang will closely fit a CV. Some might require modification. Currently there are no aftermarket headers. Mustang 4.6L headers don't exit in the correct direction and will require modification. The biggest performance hinderance is gross vehicle weight.

You can get CV PIs that weren't actually ex-squad cars. These will probably be in better condition.

I emailed you some CV links.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As a previous owner of a 99 Vic LX and the owner of a 2003 Marauder, I say yes go for it!
Head over to www.mercurymarauder.net and find the vendor section. Any one of them can help you with the "add ons". For the chip though, Dennis Reinhart appears to be the out front leader! Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts