Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a camcorder pretty quickly to film my sons football games and for use around the house etc. I'd love to hear your experiences good or bad and any first hand recomendations any of you might have with yours. Brand and model would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a JVC GR-DVL model @ 2 yrs old, haven't had any problems with it.

Jon

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a Sony DCRIP-5. Its a Sony propriatary format MicroMV tape camera which is supposed to give you DVD quality movies.
What I like:
Small, fits into tight Mustang body areas which is why I bought it.
Light, can hang it your belt.
Video quality is good enough for me but Ive read real experts dont like it.
What I dont like:
Tapes more expensive and hard to find.
Tapes are only 1 hour.
Included battery is only 1 hour, 2 hour battery expensive.
Not many video software programs support the format.
I like Sony products and they have a new one DCR-PC350 that is almost as small but uses the more generic MiniDV tapes.
Do research, heres a site to get you started. http://www.dvspot.com/

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, I've done so much research my head is spinning so I decided it might be better just to get the opinions of users.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I bought a Canon ZR-50MC off of Ebay just before Christmas. I like it just fine for videos, and the size is great. Everything about it is easy to use.

The Canon also has a memory card, but it does lousy still pictures.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
All of the electronic gurus I know say to stick with a Sony - they have been in the camcorder production business a lot longer than anyone else.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here's a tip. Dont be too impressed by a high zoom factor such as 120X or 240X.
In actual use 10X or so (optical) is about all that will be of any use without a tripod. Even with a camera that has some image stabilization you wont be able to hold it steady enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts