Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite a mustang, but still, I am having trouble with this pile. It's a dodge neon, 96. It is my GF's parents car, and they are trying to sell it but before they do I get to fix some of the problems.

Ok, here is what it does. Driving down the street, going straight, a very slight groan, like a bad wheel bearing. Turn LEFT just a little (or a lot, doesn't matter) it goes away. Turn RIGHT and it gets louder. It only does it while loading the left side of the vehicle (turning right). If I jerk the car left and right real fast it groans then stops, groans then stops.

I jacked up the front and wiggled around the wheels and such, everything seems tight up front. I then started it up and stuck it in gear, ran the tires up to 50mph and turned the steering wheel left and right, no noise.

The car drives straight and there are no shimmers in the wheel at any speed. Could it be the rear wheel bearings? I didn't check the rear wheels cause I ran out of time. When I ran it up to speed on the jack stands the car was supported by the frame, not the suspension, so it seems it is definately a weight transfer issue. But what would cause this temporary bad bearing noise, wait let me think, a bad bearing? But why only turn right and not left? Any ideas folks?

And who says you can't get a front wheel drive car to tail slide? The neon is another notch on the old bed post of "cars gone butt first". I love the roads around here....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that too, but you barely have to be turning right for it to make the noise. The CV boots look good, no cracks or flung grease, and there is no looseness in the joint itself (wiggle test). Plus don't they usually click and clack rather than groan?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I suppose the front has disc brakes?

It wouldn't be the first time that I have seen disc brakes causing noises when turning only in a certain direction. In my case the brake pads weren't correctly positioned anymore as the spring that keeps them in place was broken. This caused something to rub when it shouldn't, only when turning.

It may have nothing to do with your noise, but it's just an idea for something to check.

Good luck

G

·
The noise you here is one of the front hub (wheel) bearings that is starting to go bad. While sitting in the car is the noise louder when sitting on the drivers or passengers side this will help in figuring which side is bad.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
or possibly a power steering noise......hydraulics make funny noises at times

1 - 6 of 6 Posts