Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the off topic. My daily driver 99 Cougar has a fluid leak. It looks very similar to green coolant but more oily. Cougar uses red-orange radiator coolant. Eliminated coolant, break fluid, power steering fluid and Engine oil. Options left are tranny fluid T5 five speed, gear box oil, or r34 coolant. I am not familiar with r34. Is it greenish in color and more oil characteristics?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas on R34 A/C coolant? The car is to low for me to crawl under, so I didn't get close enough to see the source last night. I have just about elimianted everything else.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I ma a little confused by what you said. It seem that you have mentioned coolant twice. Is the R34 you refer to is part of the air conditioner system? If it is that is not a liquid, but a gas and is R134A.

If you see a orange yellow tinted fluid, it is more than likely the engine coolant, or anti freeze. How many miles? Check the underside of the hood insulation near the belt. If the water pump is leaking it usually gets flung off the belt, and draws a nice line on the hood insulation.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was talking about R34 refigerant for the A/C system. My car uses the red-orange antifreeze and this is green. So I know it is not the water pump, overflow or heater core. I talked to someone today that said it may be a dye they put in the R34 to easily detect a leak. There is quite a bit for that to be it but I guess its possible. I am thinking that there is a greater chance that it is tranny fluid or transaxle oil. Everything else in my car is red, except the motor oil and it hasn't dropped. I plan to jack it up and look under the car tonight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts