Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my daily driver the previous owner installed a Guardian sercurity system. A circuit board must be in place in order for the car's ignition system to work. The system has shorted out and it will not start! :-(

I think the original company is out of business - no answer to the number listed on the circuit board, and no national listing on any website matching the name.

Any ideas on how one goes about removing a security system like this? The car is a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville. It is not a GM system - according to the dealer and repair people that have looked at it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer (My car is stuck in the parking garage downstairs). :-(

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
There are two possibilities:
1. It was installed with an adapter harness. This merely requires removing the module and plugging the mating connectors together.

2. The installer intercepted and cut the various required leads. This is more likely, and will take a wiring diagram and some talent to correct. If you are "electrical" as they say, this is within your capability. If you didn't understand the above you'll need help - a stereo/alarm dealer for example.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I can't offer any help. But man! I used to have a Gardian system. Was the first car alarm I ever installed! Dang dude, your jogin some really old brain cells!

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are two possibilities:
1. It was installed with an adapter harness.
2. The installer intercepted and cut the various required leads.
I'd bet on the former - these krappy things were usually installed in a five-minute operation by a dealership (which then charged you to remove it or to keep it... I made this a deal-breaker on my last car purchase!)

It is unlikely to be more than one or two critical leads involved, in any case. You will need a wiring diagram - see if you can sweet-talk one out of the local dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts