Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to find a Home Improvement forum similar to our VMF. Anyone have a good one?

I have one question in particular, in regards to laundry dryer exhaust.

Our 2yr old gas dryer generates a lot of lint. The exhaust blows the lint all over our porch, creating a mess which gets tracked in the house.

I tried one of those water-filled catch cans for venting inside the garage. I think they're only rated for electric dryers. It didn't catch much lint and has since created a fuzzy moist mess in my garage. It is now exhasting on the porch again...

I'd like to buy/fabricate a lint filter/collector and vent clean air to the porch. According to the Maytag installation literature, all exhaust ducting should be metal, as plastic can generate an electric charge and ignite the lint. The ducting should be as short as possible, and no less than 4" diameter. Currently, my exhaust is a very short run, only about 2 feet, and 4". Too much of a restriction will cause the dryer fan to over-work and burn out.

I'd like a clever idea. I'd rather not use a pantyhose, as Orchard Supply suggested...

·
Registered
846 Posts
What I'd do is fabricate a metal box say 1' by 1'. Run my vent to the collection box. In the box I'd attach some metal screen like a screen door to catch the lint. Also make an exhaust hole(on the other side of the screen and vent input) to let the heat and air escape. Also I'd make the box so I could open it up to clean the screen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts