Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides having to work in the semi dark, things were going OK. However, I can not for the life of me figure
out how to remove the front rotors on my wife's Escape.

I have the caliper (both pieces as an assembly) completely off the spindle and the two rotor clips off the
front of the rotor. However, I am unable to remove the rotor (even after hitting it with my special BFH.
Is a puller/press needed to remove this rotor from the hub. It looks just like a simple floater.

Thanks, Bob.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
I hate to say this, even though it's obvious, but did you remove the retaining nut on the end of the spindle?

Usually (i don't know if this is on the escape) there is a sleeve that slips over the nut that the cotter pic goes through the top of the sleeve and into the end of the spindle. The sleeve and cotter pin is what im imagining you refering to when you sid "two rotor clips off the
front of the rotor".

After you remove this retaining nut then the rotor should easily slide off.

Plus when in doubt read the manual.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Escape has a floating rotor (now that the lights are back on I can see that definitely). I just took my
BFH and beat it off the hub (rust just froze it on).

A front drive usually doesn't use a fixed rotor/hub with inner/outer bearings like our Mustangs. Consequently there is no sleeve that slips over the nut that the cotter pic goes through the top of the
sleeve and into the end of the spindle. The sleeve and cotter pin is what im imagining you refering to when you said "two rotor clips off
the front of the rotor" - Nope, they're clips that hold the rotor in place while you mount the caliper. Definitely not a cotter pin and washer for holding a bearing.
These cars use CV joints and axle shafts and bear bearing surfaces thru the spindle. A completely different type
of beast.

Plus when in doubt read the manual. Haven't done that in years with the exception of torq spec's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts