Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For legal purposes, assume all posts are fictitious.

Post your interesting racing stories below...

I'll go first
I'm driving my '69 MACH I (previous owner swapped the 351 for a 302) and pull up in the left hand lane of a two-lane left hand turn lane. A few seconds later this kid pulls up next to me in a sweet '73 MACH that his dad no doubt fixed up. We talked a few seconds and he told me had a 351, but I was feeling saucy, so I jumped on him at the green light. He proved to me it was his daddys car, because he started smoking his tires as soon as the green hit, and all through the left hand turn! When we straitened out, I gunned it and looked in my rear view mirror. He did a 270 in the middle of the road, blocking both lanes of traffic, and drove up on the curb, all the while still smoking his tires. It was sooo funny!! I went home and took a shower, and drove back by the "crime scene", and noticed an old car with a cover over it in the drug store parking lot with some guys sitting on the curb in front of the car. One of the guys stood up and pointed at me, and I had to give them a courtesy rev, just for old times sake...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congratulations, you killed your first Mustang. You couldn't have waited for a Chebby? ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
O.K. Here is what ended it for me....in my youth I was a chevy guy and had a 85 Cutlass with a hoped up Vette motor under the hood...it was so beutifull the way it bolted up. Well the day after a fun night of ripping up Dodey Rd. I was offered a chance to race for a K and took it.

To my suprise it was apparently someone who was pissed off about losing money to me in a previous race and had called the Indiana State Police to watch for us.

Long story short I had to sell 2 cars to make bail and to get my car out of the yard wich according to the Police "Must have been DAMAGED during the race". ::

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey Topless-

I have to agree...which is why we always hit Dodey Rd. very straight and very abandoned...still a street which is why the cops didn't love us.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I'm proof street racing is not a good idea. I lost my first Mustang to it. Lost control control around 100-110 km/h, totaled my car and two parked cars. If I could I would post pics of the car. The pass. side was pushed in and the driver door would'nt open. Pretty messed up. I also got ot get very aquainted with a few of Saskatoons finest after the insident. :(

Now, every two weeks we go out to the local strip to do it.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I just had to get in on this...I was crusing Los Alimitos Ave many years ago near the Taco Bell and was driving my 2nd Mustang...66 coupe, 4sp, 289, 302 heads, solid cam, tunnel ram, etc...It was springtime yellow with a white snorkle hood scoop...It kinda buldged the top even with a very low profile air cleaner...

This little 71 or 72 grey Merc Capri kept messing with me...slowing when I did and speeding up when I did and I wanted to get into the parking lot....Well road rage being what it is, I hammered it after down shifting from 3rd to 1st...No tire spin as I had some monster meats in the rear that stuck out a bout three inches from the wheel well...Hey it was 1980....Gee imagine everyone's surprise when I left that Capri in the dust...Imagine my surprise when the red lights hit me within 50 feet or so.....

The moral of that story is don't forget to look at where you are and if it is safe to do what you are getting ready to do....

That car would smoke all but the baddest NOS injected cars....

Mel

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
My favorite street racing story happened to my boyfriend. He works for the Police Department in Forensics. His uniform looks a like the cop uniforms, but the shoulder patch says "Forensics" over the city PD emblem where it might say "Police".

He was coming home after the night shift at 2am one morning in his black 93 5.0 with the 4" cowl hood and tinted windows. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/smilies/driving.gif

Some guys pulled up next to him, reving the engine, dropping back, speeding up, egging a race. My BF was tired and didn't feel like messing with these guys.

After they had been egging him for awhile. He picked up his mag flashlight from the seat next to him and shone it on his Police Department shoulder patch. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/smilies/coolgleamA.gif

He said everyone in the car next to him suddenly sat up straight, eyes on the road (like they were all driving), the car dropped back, 55 mph, and took the first legal turn (w/signal) it could.

He laughed all the way home.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When I was younger I raced Chebbys too but my street racing ended when I got beat by a Gremlin :: See my web page for more details about street racing in the olden days. I really like to hear from other St. Louisans.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Had something rather bad I did to a ricer last night. Was coming home from hanging out with friends in my 66 4 speed and a civic was screwing with me most of the way home, popping his car out of gear and revving up the engine and what not. Well we hit a red light and I knew there was a cop ahead of us hiding behind a concrete sign running radar. So i started revving up my engine to race him, took off the line(and smoked him btw) got up to 35(the speed limit) and stopped at that, while mr. rice boy went flying past me and the cop, who proceeded to turn on his lights and pull the guy over. But he deserved it, he told me to F off early in the night when I asked him what he needed such a ridiculously big rear wing on a front wheel drive car. Oh well, what goes around comes around I guess.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
my fave was when i was out cruisin on a really nice summer night a few months ago down around ST blvd and baily.. and for all of you who know or dont know, its a really long straight road and nothing is around. i was just mindin my business when some guy in a nice shelby gt350 pulled up next to me and was revving , speeding up and slowing down with me so i thought ok what the hell why not. so we slowed down to about 15mph and from a roll we gunned it, he obviously dropped a little clutch bc i heard it rev then it barked the tires a little bit. we were neck and neck and by the top of first gear and into second i actually pulled on him pretty good, and as i got into third i heard a really loud metal sound coming from his car, it sounded like he blew the tranny from power shifting... i looked into my rear view mirror to see him pulling into a gas station to go check it out ...

so, it was one hell of a kill story literally, i not only beat him but the poor guy blew something up .. that , i felt bad for eheeh

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well, one day I was out driving my dad's 73 Mach, minding my own business. So, I pull up to the right hand lane of a two lane left hand turn lane next to a pretty nice 69 Mach. So the guy starts going off about how "it's daddy's car and not mine." So, I thought I would teach the guy a lesson. As soon as the light turned green, I stepped on it and left the guy. I then looked in my rear view mirror. ::He did a 270 in the middle of the road, blocking both lanes of traffic, and drove up on the curb, all the while still smoking his tires. It was sooo funny!! I went home and took a shower, and drove back by the "crime scene", and noticed an old car with a cover over it in the drug store parking lot with some guys sitting on the curb in front of the car. One of the guys stood up and pointed at me, and I had to give them a courtesy rev, just for old times sake...

He should've known better when I told him that my 351 was better than his 302! ::

Just kiddin'! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Had something rather bad I did to a ricer last night. Was coming home from hanging out with friends in my 66 4 speed and a civic was screwing with me most of the way home, popping his car out of gear and revving up the engine and what not. Well we hit a red light and I knew there was a cop ahead of us hiding behind a concrete sign running radar. So i started revving up my engine to race him, took off the line(and smoked him btw) got up to 35(the speed limit) and stopped at that, while mr. rice boy went flying past me and the cop, who proceeded to turn on his lights and pull the guy over. But he deserved it, he told me to F off early in the night when I asked him what he needed such a ridiculously big rear wing on a front wheel drive car. Oh well, what goes around comes around I guess.
Same thing kind of happened to me last night. I was coming off the freeway, heading home and most freeway exits in Utah have overpasses. I was driving the normal speed, but because of my exhaust (o/r h and magnapacks) it's very loud. So going normal speed it's practically screaming going under the overpass. Some dork in a STOCK Nissan or something starts to punch it a little. I didn't bother iwth him, and next thing I know I hear this lawnmower from hell rev up and this ricer go flying down the road at least 15 over the speed limit. Unfortunately there were no cops. It cracks me up how people try to egg you on because you drive a domestic. I have decided to be a much better driver though and didn't even attempt to street race because if I'm looking at getting a 69 with about twice the hp than my 97 GT I need to make sure I don't have the urge to race on the streets. Responsibility...unfortunately it comes with growing up.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Alright here goes: It was 1980 (I think), the national speed limit was 55 and my friend and I were driving down the freeway on a summer's evening just enjoying the wind in our hair. A brand new Mustang (sticker in the window) goes by on the passenger side of my car, the driver kind of smirks at the "old" convert. My friend signals to him to role down his window (I think the guy thought my friend was going to ask him about his nice new car), anyway the guys rolls down his window and my friend yells out "You want to race that bucket of bolts?!"

After a bit of back and forth yelling (and slowing down a bit - 40 or so) the guy says to go for it. I downshifted to second floored it and dropped the clutch it spun the tire - no track-loc :-( and jumped out in front of him quite quickly, his car shifted and the turbo kicked-in and and he went past me, then I shifted into 3rd and went past him again, then as his car got going in top gear he started gaining and eventually caught me and started to go past (doing about 85/90 at this point). He was intently checked the two cars front bumpers' positions and as he finally pulled ahead a bit he shot me this triumphant look; I just pointed down at the shifter and dropped it into fourth and left him behind. The look on his face was priceless!

John Harvey

:D

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey Bill,Hall Street was a little before my cruising days,but I've heard alot of good stories about it .I do have some memberal times cruising Steak & Shake and racing on Gumbo Flats off Hwy 40 in the early 80's and many a weekend spent at I-55 raceways. :D

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Back in the 60's, I had a 65 Mustang, 289 2bbl, 3 spd. Hey it "seemed" kinda fast. I also had a girlfriend in the next town. While sitting at stop lights, she would often say things like "uoh, GTO, or Oh, Road Runner." Always older guys just out of school with thier first new car.
Going home one night, a Road Runner was sitting next to me at a stop light, well, I took off easy, then nailed it. Really didn't get over 45 MPH. And saw the police lights in the mirror. Ticketed for drag racing, not smart enough to hire a lawer. License revolked for 1 year.
Ya, know, I still miss that girl.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was slowly cruising home after a late night on the town (cruising and street racing...this is 1975) when lo and behold guess who pulls up next to me? The fastest car at my high school. Some Senior with a daddy bought 396 Chevelle SS (come to think of it, daddy bought mine too). My 66 Mustang (springtime yellow, black interior, 289 4 speed ) was only mildly modified and would run no faster than 15.30s at the local 1/4. He said lets run, so we stopped and staged. We were on a deserted service road. I killed him out of the hole and kept about a half car on him the whole way till the agreed on finish line. He bails outa the car with every excuse in the book. He first said his back two barrels were wired shut. I said maybe you shouldn't be cruising for a race with a two barrel. He then tells ne he would have killed me if he could hook up (first true thing he has said so far) Desperation set in. He did not want me going to school Monday morning saying I out ran him. As much as he begged for another run, I said nope, I was happy with the results! On Monday everyone was asking what I had under the hood. Truth be known it was a C code with a junkyard 4V cast iron intake & Holley...not rebuilt mind you, just pulled and installed, ford dual points, hedders, TL 4 speed and a knucklehead kid that would wing it to 5500 every shift. That car never had more than about 5 pounds of oil pressure too!

It did finally blow one night. Bought a 69 Mach 1 because that was cheaper and faster than rebuilding the 289! Oh...the good ole days.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Stangfever, I guess cruising Steak & Shake was always a tradition in St. Louis. I use to cruise the ones at the Hallsferry Circle and in Jennings. We use to make a soda and fries last a long time while watching all the rods come and go. I use to race my 55 Chevy at I-55 in the late 70s too. Thanks for the reply! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts