Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little lost on Mercury Cyclone values. I've never owned one and I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. The car is a one owner, original paint (with the exception of the RR qtr) 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT. It has the 302 4bbl with auto, buckets, console and Disc brakes and factory AC. It is in pretty good shape inside and out as you can see from the photos. Can anyone who might know more about these cars give me an idea of what this car may be worth?? Thanks

Here are some pics

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4891932&uid=2075470&members=1

·
Registered
558 Posts
No idea on the cyclone value, but that Charger is breaking my heart....

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went looking for cars today, and these were just a few of the ones I found. (found the super bee the other day) Isn't that Charger a hoot!! From the fur interior to the plastic hood scoops glued to the sides to the green steering wheel with the sucide knob and the electric fan mounted to the sunvisor and the 8 cup holders screwed to the doors. It even has a bottle opener screwed to the underside of the decklid right next to the light up skull. It looked like this guy bought every little do-dad and gadget from every autoparts store in a three state area and glued it to his car. I would have thought that he did it as a joke but he has a 69 Elcamino and a 89 Blazer with the same crap all over it. The sad part is that it is a real 1968 RT with a 383HP, factory A/C, and a thumbwheel am/8track and disc brakes. Mechanically is is all very decent and the body is not too bad rust wise, it just looks like twelve clowns should be climbing out of it!! Yikes! ::

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well, you obviously have an eye for classic car nuances. You picked up on all of the rare and unique options I noticed. Could you imagine restoring that thing?? It would take two dumpsters to get rid of the fake fur...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Kind of hard to put a value on Cyclones. They didn't build very many of them and you don't see them for sale very often. They are definitely worth LESS than an equivalent Torino and IMO they are less attractive also. The small motor doesn't help (although I think the base motor in 68 was a 289) and that looks like a dealer-installed AC system. Body/trim/interior parts are very hard to come by.

I would value this particular car at about what the drivetrain (engine, tranny, rear end, tires, wheels) is worth, keeping in mind that the rear end will not bolt directly into a Mustang/Cougar (I tried to make this swap in high school - spring pads too far apart). I know this valuation might seem a little harsh but look at it this way - what you think the body would be worth if the engine and tranny were gone?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts