Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted yesterday regarding a Jag XJS v12 I was considering buying. Thanks for all the advise! My jaw dropped when I heard how much things cost to fix on these classy, yet expensive cars. The owner thinks his Jag has a broken timing chain, and I called around town to see how much that would cost to fix (just for a reference, I would probably try to fix it myself). Couldn't find a place locally that would even touch it! Finally got the name of a shop from the seller and gave them a call. They didn't think it was the timing chain, but if it was, it would be $3,000 to replace! The rear brake job on this car, $1,500. Major tune-up, $700! Cap and rotor ($300).

I guess the old saying if you have to ask how much something costs, you can't afford it, applies here.

Maybe I'll drive a Jag in the afterlife...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
One thing you might think about if the engine has serious problems is an engine swap. I did this in an XK-E many years ago and dropped a built 302 into it. It handled better then with the original engine, and was considerably faster. Also you can go to Napa and buy parts.

The XJ-6 uses a GM trans and the no-name engine is a very easy swap. I don't remember if the XJ-12 uses the Turbo trans or not.

If the body and interior are in good shape you can get a reliable Jag for a reasonable price this way. (yes, I did say reliable and Jag in the same sentence......*G*).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts