Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

It was a horrible secret, but I have been the owner of a '96 Chebby Silverado
for the last couple of years. Don't ask why. I still am not sure.

But I am over it now. I sold it last week!

In its place, purchased yesterday, is this:

(click on the image for a larger pic)

http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/small/sport-trac.jpg

Is it an SUV? Is it a Truck?

As far as Illinois is concerned, it is a pick up. I have to get the
special "B" truck plates for it here...

Anyone else have one of these? It's an Explorer Sport-Trac. Mine is a 2001,
with 30k miles...

Back to a Ford-only garage here! ::

-Zim

·
4,128 Posts
Yes I see the cheby behind your vert in your sig pic. Yes I too had an '87 cheby sub. I donated it to the kidney foundation. Oh and we bought a brand spank'in new 2002 F150 excab long bed. This was at the end of last year. Congrats on becoming an All Ford family. :: fd

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I almost traded my GMC for one of those too! Arent they great? Fact is, my 97 z-71 has been so dependable I can't let er go! You werent alone! I love the colro BTW!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. Our lease is up on the mini van in a few months and we have been looking at the Explorer to buy. Looks like a real nice truck/suv. Take care, Dawn

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is a beautiful SUV. I have considered getting the Explorer/Sport-Trac, but haven't been able to afford one, just yet. Did the dealer ensure you that the recall work has been performed? cnn.com just announced, two days ago, that there were issues with the seat and the cruise control.

·
4,128 Posts
So they dropped the V8 from the Exploder line. :: The SOHC 4.0 is still a potent little engine. I have rented some Rangers with that engine. fd

·
Registered
124 Posts
Explorer's still have the V8. Our 2002 is one of the most capable and comfortable vehicles I've ever ridden in and driven. We had a 1998 before that (also a V8) that was great vehicle as well.

·
Administrator
19,320 Posts
I remember when they first came out. I laughingly pointed them out to SWMBO at the local dealership, "It's not a truck, it's not a wagon, what the heck is it?!" Wrong. Her little eyeballs lit up and she proceeded to tell me. Room to carry kids and groceries and the ability to fetch her own bags of garden stuff. That way she won't spill fertilizer in her Mustang or have to bother me about fetching stuff in my truck. (She won't drive my trucks). And she points out the wonderful yard sale deals she had to pass up because they wouldn't fit in her car.
I backed and filled. I tried the "bad gas mileage" gambit. That didn't work too well. I'm talking to a woman with a 5.0 Mustang and a lead foot. Next, "you don't need 4wd, we've got a Bronco (not a gas-sipper either, but let's not think about that). Nobody tell her they come in a 2 wheel drive model. Last ditch defense is "we can't afford it". Sooner or later she'll spot a 0% interest deal or something and have me caught.
I can't use the "we have too many vehicles already" gambit, because she'll pop back with "SELL SOME". I hate that. She says everytime she suggests it I act like she's talking about amputating an arm or something. (Even though she's right)
A very nice looking "truck" you've got. Please hide the picture now, in case she walks by, sees it, and starts in on me again. ::
I have a feeling that at some point one of those will be in out driveway. At least she wants a Ford, right?
BTW, what do you think about how it runs, rides, and all that? ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts