Vintage Mustang Forums banner

OT: Lego's and Trucks anyone?

735 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bmaness 
#1 ·
Paystar 5000 and Dorsey Tri-axle

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=89618

Just a little script on the Assembly:

42" long, 8.5" wide, 9" tall (11.5" to the stacks).

The engine works (turbo spins, fan spins, pistons go up and down, valves open and close), 8 speed over/under tranny, full working suspension, steering and drive axles with differentials on the rig.

The trailer has a pneumatic air axle that goes up and down (pump, valve and air tank on rig), full working suspension, the dump lifts, the gate opens (battery pack and electric motor geared way down hidden in frame of trailer), the load cover operates, and the dolly wheels lower and lift the trailer from the kingpin.

My next project is a mustang me thinks.

#3 ·
Well, I've been working on it about 4 months. Pretty much averages about 2 hours a night and a few 8 hour rainy saturdays. But the thing is with something like this you put it together, compare it to your prototype, take it apart, model it trying to get the lines and proportions correct. Then build some mechanicals, try to fit them in, modify your sheet metal, adjust your frame, then add more to your mechanicals, decide you dont like them cause the gearing isnt "right" then spend a few days figuring out a over/under tranny with sequential gearing that works and so on. Then redo it again so you get the ratios correct, then take the sheet metal apart to get the shift pattern in the cab that there is room for it. Then take the engine out and add a turbo to it as the moving pistons, valves adn fan just aren't enought and bla bla bla.

I have a few large technic sets in it(954, 850, 8841, 8848, 8849, 8850, 8858, 8859, 8860, 8862, 8865, 8868, 2 electric motor kits) plus a number of kits I dont even know the numbers for anymore, and a variety of parts packs from lego to get sufficient quantity of pieces. Some of the sets are from the late 1970's through the 1980's and and into the early 1990's and I can tell you I ran out of pieces more than once (of course I have a lot of yellow, blue and white pieces I need to build something from) and ordered about $500 of just parts packs from lego in recent months and have few of the parts left. Today's value is diffiult to determine but from Ebay I can gather street value of (hold your breathe) about 2000 bucks.

What I want to do is Radio Control the truck. I have it just about built that it doesnt come apart anymore. Everything is braced and cross braced. I weighted it on the scale the other day with the battery packs and motors on it...22 pounds of ABS plastic.

#4 ·
That's pretty cool. I just sold most of my Star Wars Lego collection to a fellow collector. He does similar work (with a Star Wars theme of course). Web page is FTBT.net. It just goes to show that some imagination and hard work really do go a long way. I thought it was fun to build the set by the instructions, but it looks more fun to do this. Just don't have the time, skill, or imagination.

Keep up the good work!

#7 ·
I always said.

The designers of the aztec and avalanche went to the wrecking yard or the bottom of a "strippin' pit" to look for design inspriration.

I think the front of the chevy trucks look like they were front ended as well. No design sense in style...IMHO

#8 ·
I agree on the chevy truck front ends. I think that they really took a few steps back with the newer style. The previous body styles were a lot better. Don't shoot me, I have a company truck, and most of our trucks are silverados. I have 1 of 2 Fords out of about 30 trucks. I'm dreding the day they want to swap mine out. I know I'll end up with that messed up front end.

Guess I can't complain too much... its free!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.