Vintage Mustang Forums banner

OT- Local Car Show Gives 3rd Place to 300C?????????

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  gt350mike 
#1 ·
I found out last night the results of a car show that took place a few weeks ago and I had to go somewhere to VENT. A local radio station sponsored the car show for all makes/models with prize money ($1000) to be awarded to the top three cars. I saw a few really nice cars (Cobra replica w/427, 65 SBC Vette, 38 2-dr Ford, 27 Model T race car, 61 Vette, 94 Viper, and so on). Both my son and I got a pretty good laugh when I saw SEVERAL late model cars (2000 to 2004) that were in the show to include a 300C (Dodge/Chrysler?) with a Hemi. Since this is a family board, I won't post my first or second thoughts on some jerk putting his car into a car show, but the "judges" gave the guy 3rd place and $200!!!! In my opinion, the 65 Vette was the class act and should have won 1st (the guy has been working on the car off/on for 22 years). The Cobra should have placed 2nd and it’s a jump ball with the rest of the cars.

My “beef” is with the radio station (they’ll get a call from me in the morning). WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THEY THINKING……giving 3rd to a car that literally came off the showroom floor a week before the show?????????????? Is it me or does anyone else see this “SITIATION” as I do?????

#2 ·
Your not loco....No car in my mind that's not 10 years old should get even close to the top 5 places.

#3 ·
I don't mind seeing newer model cars in car shows, but don't like to see them winning prizes, as they didn't do anything to deserver an award, other than laying out a big chunk of money.

On the other hand, I feel there's no difference in an owner of a vintage car having it restored by a professional restoration shop and taking honors at a show, as there's just no difference in him/her laying out a chunk of cash for a vintage car or the late model owner laying out the cash for his.

You'll never stop either from taking awards at a show, though, so it's best to just go to the show, have fun, and forget the rest.

#4 ·
I know how you feel. Was in an open charity show last night. Threat of rain kept entries down (the rods left at the first sprinkle!) Anyway, there were two cars entered in the Import class - a Mitsu Evolution that the kid had spent hours on subtle customization (seats, intake, DVD system, not a ricer, just a good effort on a pretty slick little car) and a brand new Mini Cooper straight off the lot. The show participants did the voting, and the Cooper won - - probably because it wasn't a true "ricer." Nice kid - hope he comes back next year. And brings friends with cars.

#5 ·
Yeah, I've always wished that they gave seperate "worked on" and "my daddy has too much money and bought me this car" awards. Participants should be required to bring a picture of themselves working on their car when its more bare metal than anything else as proof that they actualy have done something deserving of winning an award.

#6 ·
Whats with all these crazy car-show judges lately?

there has been a bunch of posts about the wrong cars winning the show?

jeez. I hope the shows around youngstown don't go that way ::

#7 ·
You've gotta go in knowing that the awards don't mean anything. I was at a show two weeks ago, even had Mustang and Camaro classes (although any model year). In the Camaro class, a really sweet (and I mean REALLY SWEET) '68 SS vert didn't place, three late models won all the prizes. In the Mustang class, I was the only vintage car (of 9) to place, took second to a 2003 GT. What does it mean? Not a thing. If you want awards with meaning, you have to go to something like an MCA judged show.

Carl

#8 ·
I agree, most of these participent voter show awards really mean nothing, you just have to go in there and have fun. It does bother me quite a bit when a car right out of the showroom wins and a nice vintage car that took years to get where it is does not place. I really enjoy the true judged shows, they are usually fair and they usually see the workmanship someone put in their car. They should have several classes for cars that the owners restored, one for cars that was purchased in that condition. It also bothers me when even at a Mustang shows, when Shelbys, fastbacks and verts usually do better than coupes. I can be parked right next to a Shelby in terrible condition and mine in great condition in which I worked very hard to get that way, the Shelby will always win. I guess I will never understand why some participent voters do not see workmanship on the car, they just think wow it is a Shelby!

#9 ·
Here's how my BIL came up with a sweet way to vote.

Each vote costs $.25 (or $.50) donation to the charity. That way, at least the charity wins, and "people's choice" goes to the guy who wants the $5 trophy enough to donate $100 or more.

#10 ·
I don't mind seeing newer model cars in car shows, but don't like to see them winning prizes, as they didn't do anything to deserver an award, other than laying out a big chunk of money.

On the other hand, I feel there's no difference in an owner of a vintage car having it restored by a professional restoration shop and taking honors at a show, as there's just no difference in him/her laying out a chunk of cash for a vintage car or the late model owner laying out the cash for his.

You'll never stop either from taking awards at a show, though, so it's best to just go to the show, have fun, and forget the rest.
I couldn't agree more. The problem is that there are as many different tastes in cars and ways of judging them as there are different models of cars. Shows judged by popular vote or participant vote will always be skewed by the preferences of those attending, and very often that means a car will win based more on what it is (like being a Shelby, R code, or a new Hemi) rather that the skill and labor put into restoring or modding it. One thing I've noticed about the few shows I've attended; most of the people looking at the cars weren't "car people", at least not the hands on type of car people like you see on this forum ;). They were just ordinary people who liked looking at different cars. Many considered themselves to be car people because they enjoyed spending time at shows and admired rare or special models, and several had owned rare or old or expensive cars themselves. Some were even very knowledgable about model year differences and specifications but other than a few of the shows participants I didn't meet anyone who had actually worked on their "special" car. The bottom line is that as do-it-yourselfer classic Mustang enthusiasts we make up only a small percentage of the car hobby world, and our opinions of what's worthy of recognition (i.e. the skill and effort of restoring an old car) may not be shared by the majority. FYI - the Hemi powered 300c is an awesome car and it isn't very easy to get one. Chrysler has a lengthy waiting list as they try to fill the orders for the Hemi option. I don't agree with it winning prize money, but at least it's a rear drive V8 in the classic American tradition so it's a better choice than a kid with a ricer whose only mods are a mega-watt bass thumping stereo and a set of rims sticking out of the fenders that cost more than the car did :p

#13 ·
#15 ·
There is actually a super high performance 300c due out in the November time frame that will have even more power :)

I think I will put it on my list of possible commuter cars...all wheel drive.....over 300 HP....and I love the looks too...black out the windows...ohhh ahhhh

Still I wouldn't be taking it to any shows....its not like its a PT cruiser you know ;)

#16 ·
i stand corrected - i was under the impression that the letter after the 300 was (and this goes back to the 50's ?) sequential. that is to say that each new version got the next letterin line. to me that should mean that this newist version s/b N.

#17 ·
Well the 300c already has 345hp and 390ft ftlbs. The SRT version is supposed to be the new 6.1 with 425hp and AWD. I've been looking at them and the Magnum RTs for awhile now. Dodge and Chrystler have some HOT cars right now. I'm talking 13.8 1/4 times in a luxury family cruiser priced in the lower 30s! ::

#19 ·
It's always annoyed me to see a bone stock late model at a show too. Especially when it's something as plain jane as a new Super Duty or something. Usually I walk by without looking and make a comment like "Wow, I should have washed my truck and entered it too!" :p

#20 ·
The original Chrysler 300's were sequentially lettered. I think the "C" was either a 54 or 55 model. I don't think they changed the letter every year though. I remember a friend of mine in H.S. whose dad had a 62 Chrysler 300H. The "C" was, IIRC, always painted in white and gold. This kids dad's car was actually metallic cinnamon brown with a white top and interior with those swiveling seats that allowed you to exit the car by turning them out.

#21 ·
Oh yeah, there was the original subject to respond to. I hate it when a new car wins a trophy. I actually saw a guy with dealer's paper plates on a new Mustang GT take a trophy in a judged class. My thought was "Gosh you've kept that thing spotless for the last two weeks!" I also am not real cheery about guys who buy trophy winners. I was in a show some time back where the guy who won the 69/70 Mustang class had a 428 CJ 4 speed Mach 1 that had been professionally restored. Gorgeous car! The show had a separate Mach 1 class but this guy and his wallet were even mis-classed. He knew lots about the history and rarity of the car but nothing about the inner workings. The people running the show, when informed of the mis-classification, dutifully ignored the problem. I mean, I've had professional mechanics work on my Mustang. One helped me re-install my engine after I had it rebuilt. But that's different that buying an old car and delivering it to the restorer's shop. The results are usually quite impressive but they don't represent the real hands on love that I admire.

#22 ·
It's always annoyed me to see a bone stock late model at a show too. Especially when it's something as plain jane as a new Super Duty or something. Usually I walk by without looking and make a comment like "Wow, I should have washed my truck and entered it too!" :p
I was thinking the same thing, but since I don't have a truck, I was going to consider my 01 Maxima or "borrow" my son's YELLOW 944. At least I could say that I turned the wrench on the 944!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.