Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would give a short (well, I meant it to be) update, since I mentioned job problem in another post.

I have been working as a temp at Bird Technologies in Solon for 2 months. 2 weeks ago they offered me a direct position. Yeah. But this is my life, so hold on. :bricks:

They require a physical exam. I knew this up front, and told them I had issues. Long story short, I failed the exam. Uncontrolled diabetes(have not had insurance to pay for medicine for a year)and vision. They require

(well, actually, whoever came up with the requirements, it wasn't Bird. Apparently they are in some thing that has generic physical requirements depending on the job description. I don't know, never had to have a phys before except for the Navy)

20/35 corrected vision. Mine is about 20/45. I have about 2 and a half weeks to get this corrected.

I have an appt with my wife's doctor for next week. Earliest we could get in. ( I am on her insurance now, or else I couldn't go.)As far as the diabetes goes, the exam dr. will sign off if I show that I have started seeing a dr and getting treatment. Ok, that should be fine, a copy of the office visit sheet and a copy of med prescriptions.
The vision is going to be trickier. I don't have time to get my blood sugar under control and get a new pair of glasses. The exam dr. suggested reading glasses like WalMart or drugstores sell. I am going to try that, however it will be almost impossible to know for sure what strength to get. Plus, I don't know if that will even work. :crybaby:
So I don't know what will happen if I can't get a pass on the exam within Bird's time limit. I could be kept on as a temp, or could be let go. I haven't a clue what they will do. Frankly, I am hoping to find another job anyway(lots of reasons here), but I don't want to be unemployed again, and this one isn't horrible, just bearable.

Oh, yeah. Karen (my wife) is still not working. She got the diabetes under control and got new glass so she can see, then she gets laryngitus, has had that for a couple of weeks. Since she talks to customers on the phone all day she still can't go in to work. Her mom and my mom are the only reasons we haven't had to stop eating.
Plus, when she went in to the dr last week for the laryngitus(ok, I know I am spelling that wrong) the dr found a heart murmur. She had an echo cardiogram yesterday, no word on the results yet.
She did finally get her bankruptcy filed, so we don't have to worry about the Trailblazer being repo'd. But if she doesn't start working soon we won't be able to make the payments to the court trustee.

Anyway, I could really use a night out. That was what prompted the other post. Right now between the money and the depression(haven't been on meds for that for a year, either) I am having to force myself not to just give up. I try not to think about the Mustang, becuase when I do I just think how much nicer the garage would look if the Mustang was gone.

Russ

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I hear your frustration. Try 1.5 for the reading glasses...that may give you enough to pass. You only need 10 more feet of vision (its hard to explain).
Remember we are here for ya...I hate to see you incur expense just for a dinner out...we don't have to go big to go out....I have had great times at IHOP. it is the fellowship that is the important part.

keep going Russ....you are worth it.
Robin

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Russ,
Sorry to hear about the problems you and your wife are facing. Let's hope the medical pros help you both. Remember - many times life is a battle - you gotta keep fighting (even though it seems like you are outnumbered)!
Dave

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Russ you two are in my prayers. Hang in there, I know it's tuff.

I say we all chip in to cover Russ and Karen's good time. Even if I can't make it I would chip in.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karen got her bonus today for staying at Allstate(incentive since they announced that the jobs would be cancelled by the end of 08), so we are good on that front. As long as the gettogether is fairly soon. :p
She also got word today that the echocardiogram only showed an enlarged right atrium, and the dr thinks that is a result of sleep apnea. They are going to have her do a stress test just to make sure, but it looks like we got lucky here.
dr also told her to try a couple of over the counter things for the laryngitus. She thinks it could be caused by either drainage from allergies or acid reflux. So we just went and got some stuff for those.
Me, well I will just have to wait and see. There would be a whole lot less stress on me if Karen could get back to work. I need to keep this job, so hopefully I can get things done to do that. Sometimes I wish we lived down by Dave, that is where all the real electronic tech jobs seem to be. But that ain't happening. :puke:

I love these new smilies. :blah:

Russ

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
see? :) some good juju came your way...
R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts