Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is always someone here that can help me. I wish we had an OT area to post.
I am building a custom bbq/cooker/grill that is large enough to do a whole hog on, which I will use for fund raisers for our church funtions mostly. I have the entire unit designed to be cut from mostly Stainless steel, but I want to find a source for S/S burners. I need 3 burners that are in the 4-5 foot length range to run the entire length of the cooker. I have found one which uses a length if 3/4" black pipe, but I was hoping for something that will last longer. I suppose if I went the black pipe route, I could build a shield over it to protect it from the drippings.
If you have any input, Please lete me know, I plan to build it on a trailer axle, along with a custom serving and cutting area built onto the side.
I LOVE BBQ!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I made a burner one time out of ss pipe. with pipe and elbows welded together you can get most any shape you need. just drill small holes along the pipe on each side across from each other. I even bent a piece of flat ss metal and made a shield over the top to keep juices from plugging the burner holes. hope this helps. you may be able to get burners out of old gas stoves that would work

·
Registered
480 Posts
I LOVE BBQ!!!
Dont we all. Personally i have no idea where to get the stuff you need. However, my dad and his best friend have been judges a few years running at a local bbq cookoff. Ill call/email him and see if i cant get you some info.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what I have found so far, But not exactly what I was looking for. I want an even distribution of heat, but I could run the burners the short way and just use more of them.
Here is the link.
I wonder if say 3 of the round burners would create enough heat??
http://www.eastwaysales.com/burners.html

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can use s/s tubing and weld off one end and then drill the holes needed for the gas. Then you can use s/s angle whatever size you need for the covers and that should take care of it.
Will this be propane or natural gas. If propane the holes will need to be bigger and NG will need to be smaller as there is a big pressure difference between the 2 gasses.

You should be able to find a machine shop to do this pretty reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts